Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

g6 remote start

gph303
12-30-2008, 11:49 PM
2005 G6 Remote start just quit working. Tried both key fobs. ?????

grfnkl
01-06-2009, 01:39 PM
2005 G6 Remote start just quit working. Tried both key fobs. ?????
If you have a Check engine light on the remote start will not work. Also check the DIC ( drivers information center) to see if remote start is on.... if it is then it's probably a glitch in the computer. You van try disconnecting the battery about about a hlaf hour and reconnecting and see if that corrects it, if not then You may have to bring it in to have the computer checked for any stored codes.

Huney1
02-16-2009, 05:05 AM
I bought a used 06 G6 and it has remote start on the keyless entry remote but it doesn't work. I didn't know what the circled arrow meant until I read the manual, but it's a GM certified car so it will be fixed under warranty. Is there any other way to tell other than the keyless entry remote?

gph303
02-18-2009, 01:40 AM
I bought a used 06 G6 and it has remote start on the keyless entry remote but it doesn't work. I didn't know what the circled arrow meant until I read the manual, but it's a GM certified car so it will be fixed under warranty. Is there any other way to tell other than the keyless entry remote?
When you get the remote fixed I wish you would reply to my post so I will knoe what to do to get mine going again. Thanks

Huney1
02-18-2009, 06:04 AM
I looked on the window sticker put there by the dealer and it does NOT list remote start. If you go in the owners manual it shows pictures of two remotes, one without the circle arrow and one with it meaning that one has remote start. I haven't checked the wifes remote but I will and also get the dealer to do a print out of what came from the factory. Maybe the former owner lost a remote and somehow got one with the remote start on it. Soon as I get time I'll check things out and let you know how it played out.

gph303
02-19-2009, 12:47 AM
I looked on the window sticker put there by the dealer and it does NOT list remote start. If you go in the owners manual it shows pictures of two remotes, one without the circle arrow and one with it meaning that one has remote start. I haven't checked the wifes remote but I will and also get the dealer to do a print out of what came from the factory. Maybe the former owner lost a remote and somehow got one with the remote start on it. Soon as I get time I'll check things out and let you know how it played out.

This one worked fine for about 70,000 then just quit and we tried both remotes and to make sure it was enabled. I had battery problems a while back and don't remember if that is when it quit or not. Very strange things happen with the electrical in this car. Acted like the battery was almost dead then 5 minutes later it would crank fine along with the cd changer doing stupid stuff ect. After replacing the battery no more elect problems. Let me know what you find out.

grfnkl
02-19-2009, 05:47 AM
This one worked fine for about 70,000 then just quit and we tried both remotes and to make sure it was enabled. I had battery problems a while back and don't remember if that is when it quit or not. Very strange things happen with the electrical in this car. Acted like the battery was almost dead then 5 minutes later it would crank fine along with the cd changer doing stupid stuff ect. After replacing the battery no more elect problems. Let me know what you find out.

If you tried what I mentioned in the first post and didn't work... it sounds as if the computer encountered some type of glich causing it not to work maybe when you had your battery issues.

Easy way to check to see if you have remote start on the car is either A. try the remote, or B. go into the DIC ( drivers information Center) and check to see if remote start is listed. The dealer window sticker doesn't always list every option... my GTP didn't have RS listed either. I found out when i got the keys for the first time.

Huney1
02-20-2009, 10:20 AM
Finally got a day to do some of my own homework. I checked the radio display DIC and it shows turn remote start off or on. The dealers certified vehicle window sticker did NOT show remote start but the parts dept pulled up the original equipment, (same as shown on original window sticker), and it DOES list remote keyless entry & start as equipment. I called the service dept and informed them and said bring it in and they will see what they need to do to make it work and they'll order the parts or whatever. Can't ask for more than that so I'm going to run a few errands and swing by and see what the prognosis is and I will report back to you good folks. I'm not parinoid, but I called a Pontiac dealer in a nearby town and asked the parts dept if they would check the VIN and see if it has remote start. He asked for the last eight digits of the VIN and it came right up and said it does have remote start. Real nice guy and when I'm over that way I'll stop in and buy him a RC and a moon pie. :bananasmi
Man Oh Man Oh Man! Who could ask for more? RC and a Moon Pie . . . It don't git much better 'n 'dat. YEEHAW! Cheap thrills . . . .

Interestingly enough, I pulled a carfax report and couldn't ask for a cleaner report, but it doesn't show the factory equipment it originally came with.

Lem'me get crackin'. OH - I filled up and got the same 26 MPG like always.

Huney1
02-21-2009, 04:43 AM
To say I felt dumb is a gross understatement. One of the service writers said you have to hit the lock button on the remote and wait a couple seconds then hold down the start button for FIVE SECONDS and it cranked no problem. To shut down hit the start button and it turns the engine off. We started and stopped it three times then it quit working so had to use the ignition key and start it up to "recycle" it. Shut it off, got out and the remote start works again.

My trunk button has to be held down to get the trunk to open and a quick press and release on it won't do. They told me if the remotes ever start acting up bring 'em in and they'll reprogram them for me free, but bring in both remotes so they can do both at the same time.

I'm a senior citizen and other day went to WalMart and got whatever and came out and had absolutely no idea where I had parked except it was on the grocery side. I walked down the middle rows holding the remote above my head punching the unlock button and sure enough my G6 said, "I'm over here Partner." It was like three rows over so it does have good range.
Let me know if the five second hold down works for you.

PS They had a white 09 G8 with red interior and the 6 ltr V8 engine on the show room floor and that is a PURTY PURTY car! WHEW! $32 grand and change. Drool Drool Pant Pant . . . You want to see a G8 hooked-up full bore, . . . check out youtube and one shows a shoot out between a Dodge Charger R/T and the G8 ate the Chargers lunch. Here you go, enjoy these videos and have a nice week end.
Varoom varoom . . ! http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=pontiac+G8&aq=f
Scroll down to "Worlds Fastest Pontiac G8 Twin Turbo by House of Boost (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1trhsQftOMg)"

Huney1
02-22-2009, 07:00 AM
This is neat. I showed the wife how the remote start works and used the remote to punch unlock so we could get in. I tried to pull the shift back to R but it wouldn't budge, nothing I did would make it come out of Park. Hmmm . . . I used the key to turn it off then cranked it with the key and the shift worked OK. Built in safety anti-theft device so if you crank it with the remote key pad then leave it outside running and someome breaks a window to get in they can't drive it away because it won't come out of Park. Score one for the good guys at GM. :ylsuper:

grfnkl
02-23-2009, 02:58 PM
Actually once you press the brake the car will shut down IF you don't put the key in the ignition plus the car won't shift into gear unless you press the brake pedal. Definitely some smart engineering/

Huney1
02-23-2009, 04:22 PM
Thanks for the info. This morning I remote started mine and it ran for about 15 or 20 minutes then shut itself down. I guess that's to keep us old farts from forgetting we cranked it and it idles half a day . . .

They refer to this period of my life as the "golden years", . . . but I ain't found no gold yet. I think I toked and bonged to much when I was a flower child and it deleted some of my RAM banks. :disappoin

grfnkl
02-23-2009, 05:40 PM
:lol::lol::lol::lol: Well if you find that gold pass some along to me!

The car will run for about 10-20mins with remote start before shutting down. I think it also has to do with how much gas you have, because I remember a few times when it was cold out in the morning, I'd crank it up, within 5 mins the car would shut down because i was low on gas.

Add your comment to this topic!