Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Yet Another Suburban Fuel Pump Problem

PHLambert
12-30-2008, 07:03 PM
Howdy:

My vehicle is a 1995 K1500 Suburban with the 5.7L engine. It has 220,000 miles and I am the original owner.

I was driving home one evening during the fall, and it died right in the middle of making a left turn. Fortunately I got it over the to the side of the road, and had it towed into the shop. Diagnosis - bad fuel pump which was changed out for an AC/Delco unit at considerable cost.

One morning a couple of months later I go out to the garage to start it, and it would crank great, but not start. Tow it to the shop, and get another fuel pump on warranty.

Same thing today - it's only been a few week this time. I took it on two 500mi trips in the last week with no problems whatsoever.

The first time it was in, I suggested that maybe something was going on with the oil pressure sensor, but the guy who owns the shop said he didn't think so. Reading another thread here, I saw a lot of dialog about the oil pressure sensor/switch. Seems like it should be work checking.

I'm too damn old to craw around this thing anymore, and have to trust the guys at the auto shop. They've said the fuel pumps they've taken out have definitely been bad.

The owner is a good friend who I ride Harleys with, and he's not been charging anything for all these re-dos, but both of would like to see the problem go away.

Appreciate any ideas.

PL

maxwedge
12-30-2008, 07:32 PM
Easy to see if it is bad, jump 12v to the test port and see if you get pressure, if not the pump is bad, if so there is another problem.

PHLambert
01-08-2009, 07:45 AM
The shop pulled the pump and found that it was seized. Third one in as many months - all Delco. Here's the interesting thing: I was complaining about this to a friend, and he said his ten year old C2500 van has eaten two Delco fuel pumps in the past few months (and is in the shop right now).

Even the tow truck driver said he had been picking up a lot of Chevy trucks with bad fuel pumps.

Boy, this is starting to sound like a huge batch of Delco fuel pumps got out with some kind of manufacturing defect.

BTW - I can't really afford to have an unreliable truck, and as much as I've loved this Suburban over the past 14 years and 220K miiles, it's been put out to pasture. My new 2009 F-150 seems like a helluva truck so far, and dealers are dealin'

PL

PHLambert
01-10-2009, 09:43 PM
So I picked up the Suburban from the shop with the 4th new fuel pump since summer. I drove it on a few last errands just to use some of the 30-40gals of gas in the tank, and the PUMP DIED AGAIN!

I left in the parking lot where it was with the keys in the ignition. Took the title to Volunteers of America and told them they could have it....

Add your comment to this topic!