Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

93 Lumina Z34 Anti Lock Brake Light Just Blinks

GreyZ34
12-30-2008, 05:35 PM
Ok bought this a couple months ago. While I was installing my car stereo I decided to pull the instrument cluster and replace some lights. WOW what was Chevy thinking. You have to unplug the cluster remove it completely and then with a small torx screwdriver remove the black cover. Anyhow replaced two burned out lights put it all back together went to start the car and now the orange Anti Lock Brakes light is blinking. I bought the car used in Washington even drove it home no blinking light. There is nothing wrong with the brakes. They work great no grinding or vibrations or even pull its 4 wheel disc btw so whats up with the light blinking? I have heard of them staying on but never blinking.:banghead:

Blue Bowtie
01-01-2009, 11:25 AM
With ignition on, a flashing Amber ANTI-LOCK or ABS light indicates a problem exists in the ABS system, but the system is still operational.

If light remains on steadily, it indicates a problem has affected ABS operation and no anti-lock braking will be available.

You can either scan the ABS controller for history codes, or start checking sensors, switches, and power with a meter.

GreyZ34
01-01-2009, 02:45 PM
See heres the deal I dont know if there was a problem and it was hidden due to burned out light or as I was unplugging things I didnt reset something. As for codes crap the one thing auto parts places cant pull or you can buy a scanner for.

Blue Bowtie
01-01-2009, 03:16 PM
Unplugging the instrument cluster should not have affected the Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM). More probably, the code has been there forever and the lamp had failed.

The good thing is that the lamp is flashing, meaning that even though there is a problem, the ABS is still active.

Do the easy things first. Make sure the master cylinder is filled with the proper fluid. Make sure the center brake light is working, since the EBCM senses that as an input.

There is a switch on the brake pedal arm, switching a separate circuit from the switch contacts used for the brake lights, which signals the EBCM. There is another switch on the park brake lever/cable, and this is also used as an input to the EBCM. Verify that all those switches are working.

There is a power relay near the master cylinder/ABS-VI system, and both a main and secondary power fuses for the system. Make sure there is consistent power at the ABS-VI unit from both sources.

There are connectors on the valve solenoids as well as one for the modulator motor on the ABS-VI master cylinder unit. There is also a control connector there, and a connector for the brake fluid level switch. Make sure those are all clean and properly seated. Verify that the normally closed switch contacts for the brake fluid level switch are closed - They signal the EBCM.

There is a power diode in the supply circuit. Make sure the diode is intact with an ohmmeter test.

You can find relevant schematics on the www, or I might be able to post some.

GreyZ34
01-01-2009, 04:37 PM
you know it might be the brake cable sensor. If you start the car and have the parking brake set the light will not blink as soon as you release the parking brake it starts blinking. third brake light works great lots of fluid as well.

Add your comment to this topic!