Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Do I really need to thin the paint.

DanSmith
03-21-2003, 11:20 AM
My spray gun said to thin laquers at a 1-1.5 ration, with 1 being the paint and 1.5 being the thinner. I did about a 50/50 because the paint seemed thin anyway, and the paint hardly even covered the surface. I poured some more paint into the mixture and it got a lot better. My question is, do i even need to thin Tamiya paint at all?

Veyron
03-21-2003, 11:30 AM
You started out talking about lacquer and ended with a question about Tamiya paint. Tamiya paint in the bottle is water based acrylic, their paint in the spray can is synthetic lacquer, which one are you concerned with?:)

PorschePong
03-21-2003, 11:53 AM
if u're talking about laquer, then u dun hve to thin at all
If u're talking about Tamiya Enamel, u need 1:1.5 ratio just like u said there.
if u're talking about water base Tamiya Acrylic, then 96% paint and 4% thinner/water.

Cheers :D
Henry

djmr2
03-21-2003, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by PorschePong
if u're talking about laquer, then u dun hve to thin at all
if u're talking about water base Tamiya Acrylic, then 96% paint and 4% thinner/water.

Cheers :D
Henry

what are u talking about, u have to thin lacquer too.

RallyRaider
03-21-2003, 03:21 PM
If you intend to spray with an airbrish or similar then the paint will need to be thinner that it would be if you were applying it with a brush.

Some lacquers come pre-thinned so they are the right consistency straight out of the bottle - others will need to have thinner added. A genaral rule of thumb is the paint should be the consistency of milk for spraying.

Things like the pressure and type of airbrush will affect things differently. So go and experiment and find out what works best for you.

bah humbug
03-21-2003, 03:59 PM
WHen I use tamiya paints in my airbrushes I don't need to thin anything.

rcmaxx
03-21-2003, 04:04 PM
/\ maybe thats why you get the finishes that you get.......:(

sorry, but I had to say that.

Tamiya paint does need thinning, specially the Chrome Silver and Alumnium.

bah humbug
03-21-2003, 04:08 PM
Do you mean my red and white seats? Those were hand painted. I posted a few weeks ago at the airbrushed version. They don't lookbad and if they do I don't know what is good then.

bah humbug
03-21-2003, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by rcmaxx
/\ maybe thats why you get the finishes that you get.......:(

sorry, but I had to say that.

Tamiya paint does need thinning, specially the Chrome Silver and Alumnium.

Does this looks like a bad finish to you? :confused:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?postid=835011

rcmaxx
03-21-2003, 04:11 PM
actually, yes they do. but really I dont want to start a fight with you man. sorry.:)

what is that circle in ones of the seats?

bah humbug
03-21-2003, 04:15 PM
LOL :lol2: I don't want to start any fights. ;)

LOL the circle is when my airbrushed spit the paint.

It is because My abrush is the cheap testors detailing airbrush. :p

bah humbug
03-21-2003, 04:24 PM
Sorry for going really off topic but some how I can't get good pics.

Besides it is not really off topic since it shows what kind of finishes you can get if you don't thin the paints. ;)

Here is another picture of the bucket seats, please tell what is wrong with them. Why do they look bad?

http://files.automotiveforums.com/uploads/385258Supintegrawithfinishedbucketseats.jpg

P.S. Please don't make fun of the car in the backround Ok. I don't need any of that right now. ;)

DanSmith
03-21-2003, 06:37 PM
Heh, sorry, I though Tamiya paints were synthetic lacquers. If the 96% to 4% ratio of paint to thinner is right for Tamiya paints then that is what I will use.

What do you guys use for measuring your amounts of paint and thinner?

Also, have any of you guys used these? (http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/en001/auto_marine_aero/marine/node_GSDHKN4ZX8be/root_GST1T4S9TCgv/vroot_GS4JK4Y166ge/gvel_RJ5GMFSMV0gl/theme_us_marine_3_0/command_AbcPageHandler/output_html) Someone suggested them to me in another thread and I was wondering if they work very well before I order a whole case.

Thanks

DanSmith
03-21-2003, 06:49 PM

Which paints are enamels? I looked in the FAQ, but it only told me stuff like acrylics dry quicker and enamels aren't good for bodies, etc., but not how to tell the difference.

Add your comment to this topic!