Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2003 Transmission shudder

mad1985
12-30-2008, 06:56 AM
I have a 03 Windstar that shudders when shifting gears. It occurs when accelerating at a slow rate on an incline, sometimes it happens when not on an incline. In August of this year the transmission was replaced by a Ford Dealer in St.Louis. The original transmission failed as I crossed the Mississippi on the 255 bypass. I check the fluid level last night and in looks good. The reman. transmission has just under 10K on it. Is this shuttering caused by a defective sensor readback?

garync1
12-30-2008, 10:05 AM
If the dealer changed it. it should be covered for 3 yrs 100,000 miles.. Any dealer should honor it..Thats what mine came with..

mad1985
12-30-2008, 10:36 AM
If the dealer changed it. it should be covered for 3 yrs 100,000 miles.. Any dealer should honor it..Thats what mine came with..

You are correct on the warranty. Is there something I can check prior to taking this to the dealer? I don't want to to get to the dealer and then learn that the cause is something I could have fixed myself.

garync1
12-30-2008, 11:05 AM
You are correct on the warranty. Is there something I can check prior to taking this to the dealer? I don't want to to get to the dealer and then learn that the cause is something I could have fixed myself.

Well my van still has a bump. In other words after van is warm and I go up a slight grade at about 1800 rpm at about 50 to 60 mph. It will bump or kind of buck.. I thought it was the trans but I am still trying to solve my problem..I did have my trans to leak until I put a cooler on it.. I changed my trans out to make it reliable.. I got tired of staying in state because was never sure when it might let go.. I had about 106,000 miles on my van when trans was changed.. I am about at 110,000 now.. I have changed the spark plugs again and cleaned the EGR valve and rechecked my new wires.. I am still trying to locate this bump. Not sure if you have the same issue here.. Others have told me to check the DPFE sensor. My volt meter some how got fried so I am still looking into it.. But if your symptoms were cured after trans replacement and are now coming back I would take it to the dealer to get checked out. Just asked them how much it would be if the trans is not the issue.. In other words if its only 70.00 bucks for them to check it out and say what the problem is then you know and can replace the problem part.. If I don't figure mine out soon I may go and see what they can find..

mad1985
12-30-2008, 11:23 AM
Well my van still has a bump. In other words after van is warm and I go up a slight grade at about 1800 rpm at about 50 to 60 mph. It will bump or kind of buck.. I thought it was the trans but I am still trying to solve my problem..I did have my trans to leak until I put a cooler on it.. I changed my trans out to make it reliable.. I got tired of staying in state because was never sure when it might let go.. I had about 106,000 miles on my van when trans was changed.. I am about at 110,000 now.. I have changed the spark plugs again and cleaned the EGR valve and rechecked my new wires.. I am still trying to locate this bump. Not sure if you have the same issue here.. Others have told me to check the DPFE sensor. My volt meter some how got fried so I am still looking into it.. But if your symptoms were cured after trans replacement and are now coming back I would take it to the dealer to get checked out. Just asked them how much it would be if the trans is not the issue.. In other words if its only 70.00 bucks for them to check it out and say what the problem is then you know and can replace the problem part.. If I don't figure mine out soon I may go and see what they can find..

A service person offered to take a ride with me this evening. I go to this place for a oil change at the quick lube.

I did a tune up on this vehicle during the summer. Replaced plugs,wires, air filter and cabin air filter. Fuel filter was replaced one year prior.

Ed_Strong
12-30-2008, 11:35 AM
The recommended maintenance schedule for the Fuel Filter is to replace it every year. I would start there (cheapest approach) and see if that helps.

garync1
12-30-2008, 11:39 AM
From what i was told the Warranty is honored at any Ford dealership.. So I don't think they will charge you for a check up.. If it comes back not being the trans they would tell you and opt for them to fix what ever the problem is.. Of course for a fee. But you can always do it your self or have another shop fix that problem.. Also too. All trans components and senors are covered with this warranty.. You do need your repair sheet they gave you at the dealer who fixed it.. If I felt it was the trans causing the problem i would take it in to have them look at it..

mad1985
12-30-2008, 01:33 PM
From what i was told the Warranty is honored at any Ford dealership.. So I don't think they will charge you for a check up.. If it comes back not being the trans they would tell you and opt for them to fix what ever the problem is.. Of course for a fee. But you can always do it your self or have another shop fix that problem.. Also too. All trans components and senors are covered with this warranty.. You do need your repair sheet they gave you at the dealer who fixed it.. If I felt it was the trans causing the problem i would take it in to have them look at it..

When the original transmission failed I opted for the Ford dealer. I paid more for the repair but warranty issues can be corrected nationally at any Ford dealer. In this case it appears to be worth the extra cost.

garync1
12-30-2008, 02:32 PM
When the original transmission failed I opted for the Ford dealer. I paid more for the repair but warranty issues can be corrected nationally at any Ford dealer. In this case it appears to be worth the extra cost.
Hey that's why I did it.. 3,252.00 was about my total.. I have it posted on another post.. give or take a few bucks.. But that 3 yrs 100,000 miles sensors trans parts and labor.. You can't beat that. some places like to spring up labor and material cost.. Ford person said if its the trans its all free.. Thats why i think if you take to the dealer with a possible trans issue.. If they find nothing wrong with the trans there would be no charge but may point you to something else to look at.. That's what I would do.. Then if they find nothing wrong I would negotiate on how much they would charge to locate the issue.. To be honest I have a feeling they are going to re-flash the ECM to see if it helps..

Add your comment to this topic!