Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Garage/workshop flooring question

AD2BU
12-29-2008, 10:35 PM
Not exactly a tool question, but I am working on remodeling my home shop area and would appreciate suggestions on flooring - concrete is cold and hard. I have a rubber mat I stand on when I'll be working on something for a while, but I was wondering what anyone else has. I've found some stuff on the internet about rubber flooring for the whole garage - anyone tried this? How about the paint on epoxy - I've seen some that look nice, but I wonder about wear and tear from winter salt, etc. I appreciate any suggestions.

MagicRat
12-30-2008, 09:07 PM
I use big pieces of outdoor carpet that I can throw down when working. It's cheap, washable and portable.

I have seen the other methods you describe in use and I have the same concerns. I think they are fine for a top-notch garage used for car storage, but are vulnerable if you do serious work on a car.

My cars are up on floor jacks and jackstands regularly. Lots of flooring systems would be chipped/damaged by using these, unless you place the jacks or stands on plywood sheets first. )which would be a bit if a PITA.

Also, rolling a car on a floor jack, or on those wheel-dollies is more difficult than plain concrete.

Finally, those flooring systems are expensive......... more so than carpeting the entire garage.:smile:

I just use a decent concrete floor paint, just to make sure oil and fluid spills can be cleaned up more easily.

olderthandirt
01-01-2009, 01:21 PM
Not exactly a tool question, but I am working on remodeling my home shop area and would appreciate suggestions on flooring - concrete is cold and hard. I have a rubber mat I stand on when I'll be working on something for a while, but I was wondering what anyone else has. I've found some stuff on the internet about rubber flooring for the whole garage - anyone tried this? How about the paint on epoxy - I've seen some that look nice, but I wonder about wear and tear from winter salt, etc. I appreciate any suggestions.

There are some excellent flooring epoxies designed for industrial use that stand up well to heavy duty use. The cheap stuff you get at Lowes or Home Depot would probably chip on you after a while, depending on how hard on it you are. Stick with an industrial grade and you'll be fine. If you want a brand/source, email me. :2cents:

bobss396
01-16-2009, 12:01 PM
The epoxy floors are nice, I've seen them done by pros and DIY kits are out there. I'm not sure how they stand up to rolling jacks across them. In my garage, I used a clear sealer on the bare concrete. I have to do it again, it gets thin after a while.

I use an old piece of masonite peg board when I lay under the car to do anything. It hangs up on the wall when I'm not using it. The holes let oil through it so you don't lay in that much of a puddle when you have a spill.

Bob

MTProTool.com
01-28-2009, 10:03 PM
Try Going to The Home Depot, I use to sell this stuff in the paint departments.

There are many different options and brands to choose from. Behr, Rustoleum, and Glidden all make different types of garage floor coatings.

You need to decide what kind you want to use. Dont use regular concrete paint because it can not withstand hot tires parking on it. I recommend either a one part epoxy or a two part epoxy. The two part epoxy are going to be the best choice because they are the most durable. They are more rubbery and durable then a one part epoxy. Behr and Rustoleum both make a two part that work great. The Rustoleum only comes in tan and grey colors. The Behr can be tinted to many different colors which can be nice.

They are both going to be priced around $70 a kit. The Behr kit comes with everything that you need except the roller poll, to complete the job. One kit covers a one car garage for both brands. Use a clear coat after if you really want it to shine:)

MTProTool.com
01-28-2009, 10:10 PM
Sorry i forgot to say that they will withstand winter salt. You just want to make sure that when you put it on that your floor is extremely clean and does not have any moisture that come through the cracks. If it does it will bubble.

Add your comment to this topic!