Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

brake shoe stuck onto the rotor

ivanmat
12-29-2008, 07:00 PM
hi, guys.
i have 96 shevy lumina 3.4 (sports mini van). i have a problem. My right shoe pads are stuck onto the rotor and after driving like 5 minutes, the rotor becomes really hot. i still can drive the car but when you see a red hot (it was at night) rotor, you know something wrong. as I think, something wrong with the beaking system. The other wheel is fine. how can I 'unlock' pads from the rotor or what's wrong with them?
thank you for your help.
ivan.

bd2008
12-29-2008, 07:09 PM
Holy crap! You shouldn't drive it when it makes that kind of heat. Other things can be seriously affected. If you replaced the brakes yourself, it may be a matter of not bleeding the brakes when you finished. There is a little nipple on the assembly that can be backed out(loosened) some and have someone else depress the brake inside the auto until you have a solid stream of fluid coming out. You can use a mason jar to catch the fluid and pour it back into the resevoir when your done. As for how bad it is now? You may have done damage to it by making it glow in the dark. It may well be the master cylinder or damage to the "boot" that surrounds the part of the caliper that "pushes" in on the pads. Give it a serious look over. Pick up a Chiltons at the auto parts store if you need some assistance or take it to a service station. Yes, I used "service station". What can I say, I'm old school.

ivanmat
12-29-2008, 07:40 PM
thanks for fast reply.
sorry, but I said it wrong a bit. 'The glow (or the red burning metal) in the dark' was only one time when I noticed it for the first time. After that I drove a few blocks to see the rotor heat: left was ok, right was hot. Damages... i think, I got lucky, considering I could not touch the wheel because of the heat. The service station sounds good but my money goes to zero and the guys over there will charge me a lot, that's for sure.
i'm trying to do it myself. can you tell me more about the fluid thing. my friend tells me the same thing but he never had lumina.
thanks,
ivan.

Dodge1063
12-29-2008, 08:08 PM
Dude i read your post, your saying shoes pads are stuck on rotor. I am confused with that, are you talking about the pads on the rotors, or did you mean shoes on the "drums"?

ivanmat
12-29-2008, 08:26 PM
rotor (break disc).
it 's gotta be the master cylinder that does not let go the shoes pads to go away from the rotor in full because i still can drive (i do not) but the rotor becomes red hot.

Dodge1063
12-29-2008, 09:19 PM
possible bad caliper? I mean i guess it all depends..... whatever is cheaper i suppose.

dwalmop
12-30-2008, 12:37 PM
I would say bad caliper and/or pinched brake hose.

ivanmat
12-30-2008, 02:48 PM
thanks,
got it right. let the fluid out, the master cylinder let the pads go, cleaned the cylinder (the best i could), put the fluid... everything is fine, but still want to go to junk yard and get the whole thing replaced.
thanks everybody.
ivan.

jeffcoslacker
12-31-2008, 02:22 AM
I would say bad caliper and/or pinched brake hose.

Glad he got it fixed...for future reference, there's a quick way to tell which is the problem...

Drive it until it starts to heat up and drag...park it and quickly get out and open the bleeder screw on the hot one...if you hear the caliper relax and sometimes actually feel the car roll a bit (because the brake seize was keeping it from fully bumping the park pawl when you put it in park), and you get a strong shot of fluid from the bleeder, it's a bad hose holding pressure.

If there is no effect, and you just get a dribble of fluid, the caliper piston or slides are seizing....

The brake hose is the only thing that will launch a shot of fluid as if someone had their foot on the brake...

This little experiment I came up with has kept me from replacing the wrong part many times, and so far has not failed me...

Add your comment to this topic!