Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Timing Chain or Belt ?

sswpriz
12-29-2008, 12:44 PM
I'm a little confused. I have a 04 Accord with the 2.4 DOHC Vtec engine.
A dealer is telling me that I should have the timing belt replaced, no problem there, since I have 90K on it already.
However, when i checked with my regular mechanic to see how much they would charge, he says his system shows this particular year and engine has a timing CHAIN !!!!
Who is correct ?
If it is a chain, is it a top priority to get the chain changed right away ? Or does it really need to be changed ?
Thanks in advance for your help people !

jgr7
12-30-2008, 06:45 PM
I can't confirm if you have a chain or belt but if it is a chain you don't need to change it. Call the another dealer and give them the VIN number and they should be able to tell you what the engine has.
Jeff

sswpriz
03-04-2009, 12:19 PM
After having some minor service done the other day, I asked the service writer if this particular Accord had the belt of a chain.....and he looked it up and said it had the chain and it really wasn't necessary to change it unless it goes bad. !

littlebitofinsanit
03-28-2009, 10:48 AM
thats not true if has interferance head then it is two late

KManiac
03-29-2009, 10:15 AM
If you have an interference engine, it is critical to replace either the timing belt or timing chain before either one breaks, to prevent major engine damage. But you must realize that the failure modes are different between belts and chains.

The timing belt is a steel wire reinforced rubber belt with rubber teeth along the inside. The belt, too, is equipped with a spring loaded tensioner, to prevent any elongation or stretching of the belt from effecting valve timing. After about 90,000 miles of use, these belts can stretch beyond the limits of the tensioner, the rubber can degrade, causing the rubber teeth to shear off the belt, or the belt can just simply break. All this can occur without warning or any outward indication of wear or pending failure. That is why timing belt replacement is recommended every 90,000 miles.

The timing chain is similar to a bicycle chain, but much more sophisticated. It is not equipped with a tensioner. However, over time and usage, the pivot points in each link will wear, causing the chain to stretch over time. The amount of stretch present in a chain can be measured during a major service without engine disassembly, if the mechanic knows what they are doing. Chain replacement is recommended if measurable stretch meets or exceeds a certain limit. It is a very rare occurance that a timing chain ever breaks, although it has been known to happen. The most common failure mode of a timing chain stretched beyond it's service limit is to skip a tooth on the cam, causing the engine to immediately run poorly or not at all. At least when this happens, the valves are not damaged. Most timing chains will go at least 200,000 miles before they stretch beyond the service limit. This is why chains don't need frequent replacement like belts do.

Add your comment to this topic!