Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Rough Starting, '04 Venture

bob259
12-29-2008, 11:35 AM
My '04 Venture starts fine 98% of the time. Once in a while however it's real rough when you turn the key over and it doesn't start. Turn it again, and it starts right away. My father-in-law had a similar but more pronounced problem (all the time) with his '01 Impala. Dealer replaced a small part (not the starter) and said it was a "problem" with those vehicles. Am I looking at a similar "problem" with this Venture that will have to be fixed.

GM seems to be famous for these "problems" like the intake manifold on my Grand Prix and Regal 3.8's.

Bob

merc81
12-30-2008, 01:35 PM
I would check out the MAP sensor. Try to find one as a donor before purchasing one as they cost $50 bucks and you want to be sure thats the issue. MAP sensor failure will cause poor idle but doesn't effect engine after 1000 rpm or so. It will make it hard to start.
Almost any GM car will have a MAP senor you can 'borrow' to test. Its a small, 1 inch by 3 inch by half inch thick sensor that has a 3 pin connector and a vacuum hose.
These things can fail when cold and start working when warm again.
good luck
John

bob259
12-30-2008, 04:03 PM
Thanks John. When I saw "MAP Sensor", ding, the bell went off that that's what my father-in-law replaced on his Impala.

Thanks again for the tip.

Bob

Add your comment to this topic!