Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2002 2.2 OHV Cavalier Stalls but starts back up

notacceptable
12-28-2008, 11:02 PM
Hey guys... I hope someone here can help me out.

I have a 2002 2.2 OHV Cavalier that sometimes will stall if I take my foot off of the gas pedal.

This seems to happen on cold days, after I have driven the car somewhere and then left it for about an hour or two and then get back in.

The car will start fine, and drive but then when I take my foot off of the gas sometimes it will drop to like 300 rpm and rev back up to idle (500-600) and others it just drops all the way down and stalls.

This does not always happen tho, and I have left it with a mechanic for two days and the Chevy dealer for two days and they were not able to get the issue to repeat and (thought I was crazy) had no advice on what it could be. This issue is not causing any codes, so no check engine light / service vehicle code is showing up.

When this starts happening, it will last for a while and usually straighten itself out and work fine for a few hours/days.

The fuel pump & filter were replaced about 4-5 months ago, and I put on a new battery/air filter shortly after this started happening. I thought it might be the tank of gas so I ran it out, and ran some seafoam just in the gas.

After some searching online, I ran onto a post with very similar symptoms as my car and the response was that it might be the idle air control. I picked up one but I can't figure out how to get to mine. So, if you think it could be the idle air control if you could point me to removing/replacing mine.

Thanks for any help!

Jacfourteen
12-29-2008, 01:46 AM
to me it sounds like the idle air control or the egr valve (I think these had a egr?, I know some of the newer ones don't) either way it does sound like a intermitent vacuum leak. sorry, I have a 2.4 so I'm not sure where the IAC is on a 2.2 but it should be close to the throttle body somewhere. and if it is the egr you should be able to free it up by removing it and scrubbing with some carb or brake cleaner.

notacceptable
12-29-2008, 08:53 AM
Yea I have the Haynes vehicle manual and I am pretty sure I know where the IAC is, I just can't get the resonator off or access the clamps it talks about removing.

I may try asking one of the repair shops if they can just replace the IAC for me.

Also, the manual does not have a way to access the EGR valve in my model, so I am wondering if it has one.

Add your comment to this topic!