Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 Regal LS - Interior lights

STONEBOSS1
12-28-2008, 10:44 PM
To be more clear when I say interior lights I mean the dash lights, steering wheel, and the lights that illuminate all window controls all went out on me as
I was driving. They were all fine when i started the car and drove a few miles. But all of a sudden they all went out. When I reached my destination , I checked all fuses that I think pertain to dashbord. No faulty or blown fuses were found. Parked and returned to the car a few hours later. Started the car up and all lights returned to normal. Any ideas of what might be causing this issue. Its the first time this has ever happened. Thanks.

BNaylor
12-29-2008, 06:57 AM
How about the radio and climate control lighting? Where do you have the dimmer control setting at the headlight control switch? Whatever your issue was I would say it was common to the headlight and dimmer switch. Until the problem returns really not much you can do about it.

STONEBOSS1
12-29-2008, 07:17 PM
Thanks for the response BNaylor. A belated Merry Xmas to you. Radio controls were fine, although I have an aftermarket unit installed, but its connected to the factory harness so power was going to the radio. As far as the climate control it was functioning properly, but the buttons were not lit. the rear defog, front defrost, vent, and recirc when pressed functioned but
the amber light was very dim. All other buttons were not illumnated green. I did check the headlight switch to see if it was set to low dimming, but it was at the max light output. I never use the headlight switch to turn the headlights on. I forgot to mention in my first post that when I checked for blown fuses, the car was running at the time. Didn't find any blown. But I did pull one fuse and the car shut off. Forgot which one it was (possibly the PCM)
10 OR 15 amp, I think. Put it back in and restarted the car, but still no dash or climate control lights. Returned to the car a few hours later and everything is fine. Will keep you posted ifand when it occurs again. Thanks much.

BNaylor
12-31-2008, 11:08 AM
You're welcome.

Happy New Year to you.

Yeah there is nothing worse than intermittent problems of this nature. If the issue pops back up let us know. Probably an issue related to the headlamp switch and dimmer or the 12 volt input to the switch being improper.

STONEBOSS1
01-07-2009, 09:14 PM
I believe your correct Bnaylor. It does point to the dimmer/headlight switch.
The issue occured a few times after my last post. When I jiggle or push hard on the headlight switch knob, the interior green dash lights do turn on. I never use this switch to turn on the headlights though. I always keep it on the off position (knob in ). But it looks to be faulty anyway. Can you give me a part # or a reference of where to purchase a new switch, without having to
go to the dealer. Thanks.

BNaylor
01-07-2009, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the feedback.

Just send me a PM message and I can steer you in the direction of a reasonable (cost) and dependable AC Delco/GM parts supplier. Same one I use and I never buy at the dealership due to outrageous cost.

Also, to access and remove the headlamp and dimmer switch assembly all you need to do is remove that side cover assembly you see at the left side of the dash after you open the drivers door.

Add your comment to this topic!