Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Smelly Fan

airsense00
12-27-2008, 09:44 AM
Hey,

My fresh air is kinda smelly. I bought a 2000 and the oder from the air vents isn't the best. Does this car have a cabin filter for it? And if so where is it? Thanks

hundahunta
12-27-2008, 03:48 PM
no cabin in air filter. the best bet would be to go to a local automotive store and buy a do it yourself evap coil cleaner

airsense00
01-06-2009, 04:35 PM
Ok I don't think it is the fan anymore. I found water in the rear floorboards and it seems there is a leak in the trunk and running down. I read on here that the taillights can leak as well as the trunk on the neons. What have you all used to seal these problems? Just silicone? I think it is the moldy smell that is recirculating around the car.

denisond3
01-07-2009, 09:47 PM
For sure on the 1st generation Neons rainwater can get into the trunk, via the foam gaskets around the tail light housings. I dont know if the later Neons were the same or not. On our 97 the water could run down the gap between the trunk lid and the body, and into the top of the tail lights. Once it got a couple of inches deep in the tail lamp it would overflow into the trunk. It used to result in an inch of water in the spare tire well after heavy rains. I removed the tail lamps and drilled a drain hole in the bottom of the housing. Then I used RTV to add to the gasket between the tail lamp housing and the body, and finally used the RTV to close up the gap above the tail lights, so the water rolling down between the trunk lid and the body would fall over and out, instead of down into the tail lamp.
Trunk now stays totally dry.

Add your comment to this topic!