Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

RPM gear problem?

CHRISTMAN
12-26-2008, 03:59 PM
New to forums. I have used these forums to fix a lot of little problems I had encountered upon buying a windstar. Thanks for the help on that.

However, I am stuck with a couple things. I tried looking for other posts on it, but hadn't had any luck yet.

I have a 1999 Ford Windstar 3.8L. 100k About 3 weeks ago after fixing most of the problems I encountered two new ones about the same time. So I dont know if they are connected or not. Please help.

Occasionally driving....Id say 5 out of 10 times taking it out (more so recently) the van will drive and chug along at lower cruising speeds off and on. It will drive fine and have normal power then chug once or twice then go back to normal. Then drive a couple hundred yards and do the same thing. (city) If I take it on the highway it doesn't seem to do it. . Even on the same trip without turning it off. That is problem one that I noticed before problem two but still both within same week. Is that a bad fuel pump? I checked for vaccum leaks and no such luck. I have changed the air filter and fuel filter. I also did the p171/174 fixes with the egr ports. I have also changed out the plugs and wires.

Problem 2. Whether I am in park or in gear driving on the highway if I get the engine up to 3.5 RPM's it will make a terrible noise under the hood and sound like it is kicking out of gear or something. If I am in park I just rev the engine up to 3.5 and it kicks out as mentioned above. If I am driving on the highway I can drive any speed I wish (only tried up to 95mph) with no issue as long as I ease up to it. But if I act like I am throwing it in passing gear and pushing the pedal down once it hits that 3.5rpm's it kicks out of gear and make that terrible squeaking/winding noise until I let off the pedal. Once I do it kicks back into gear and power is restored and I can continue driving like it never happened. It never did this before this month and I have thrown it into passing gear enough times to have noticed if it did as I live next to the interstate. Is it an overdrive problem?

I should mention it only ever threw one code and it was the p340 cam sensor code. It did this the first time I noticed the rpm problem. I got it read and cleared and even though it has done the rpm problem many times since then it has never thrown that coder nor any other again. So im not sure if it just threw it because of all the engine noise/shaking from the first time.

Are these two problems related? If not any suggestions on remedies?

Thanks in advance

CHRISTMAN
12-26-2008, 04:03 PM
I forgot to mention. I have reved it up in park before for other testing on the engine all the way to 5000rpm's with no problems. So I know it is capable of going past 3.5 without the problem I am having normally. thanks.

kevink1955
12-26-2008, 09:42 PM
It should be rev limited in park or neutral to 3500 rpm by the ECM, if you could get it to go higher you could have a bad range selector switch. It could be restricting you when in drive. It's an easy replacment, I think Wiswind has posted a replacment note on it. The range selector switch can also cause other transmission shifting issues.

It why would you rev it to 5000 rpm in neutral anyway

CHRISTMAN
12-27-2008, 12:24 PM
I have reved it to redline at 5 before when I first bought it to hear the engine noise as it was powering up. It was in park though not in neutral. Dont know if that matters or not. It helped me fix a lot of other problems. I did this at least 10 times in the time I had it 2 months running like a dream before this problem happened to where it wont go past 3.5.

Thanks for the info on the "range selector" I will look into that immediately. One question though. Who is wiswind? And where can I view the note on replacement that he/she posted?

Also while I am going out to buy this part today is there any other possibilites I can also look into if this doesnt work?

Thanks for your help.

Tom

CHRISTMAN
12-27-2008, 07:04 PM
Replaced the selector switch. It was only 40 bucks from advanced. Took it for a test drive. All problems still exist.

From what I gather the range selector switch is mainly due to tranny's that wont shift out of 2nd? My windstar shifts through all gears fine. Just not in passing gear at 3500rpm"s

Any more thoughts?

wiswind
12-31-2008, 10:04 PM
verify that the throttle position sensor is connected, it is on the throttle body.....facing the front.....
I forgot to connect mine once....and my windstar would not kick down into "passing gear".
I reconnected it, and all was fine.
I doubt that you will get off that easy, but certainly worth a look.

The speed sensor is hard to get to.....middle back side of the transaxle.
Your speedometer cable goes there.....and there is a electronic sending unit there that can go bad.

Both the throttle position sensor and the speed sensor 'should' light the CEL if they are bad.

Just for grins, I would recommend you have your code(s) read.
You can have them read for free at many auto part stores.
If they do pull a code, write down the actual numeric code....not just the description that they give you.
You will have to ask to see the code.....as most people have no idea what to do with the code (very easy......a search on the code will get you a lot of information).

I just hate to keep telling you "it could be this.....It could be that"....as it gets expensive and frustrating really fast.

Oh, I think the post that you were being directed to is the "General Windstar Information" that is a sticky post near the top of the windstar room page.

CHRISTMAN
01-01-2009, 07:38 AM
Thanks for the reply. I havent checked your suggestions just yet, but wanted to add on here the only code that comes up.

It is p340 cam shaft sensor

It only comes up when I attempt to purposely throw it into pasing gear and make the van kick into neutral. It usually goes away. This last time it didnt and I had to get it read and cleared at advanced autoparts. It is the sole code that pops though. That coudlnt be the real problem though could it? Just doesnt seem like it is.

Ill check your other suggestions today. thanks so much for the reply.

wiswind
01-01-2009, 08:24 AM
The Camshaft Position Sensor is easy to change.
I show the location in my pictures.
The electrical connection has been known to break also.
To change, you ONLY loosen the 2 small bolts on TOP of the sensor.....
Do NOT mess with the syncro bolts.
It is possible that the sensor could be causing the problem......

CHRISTMAN
01-01-2009, 08:02 PM
K it's in and so far so good. I cant force it to snap into neutral at high Rpm's in park now. I also can throw it in passing gear around 65mph and pass people at higher Rpm's without it throwing itself into neutral. Thanks so much for your help.. I have one more question though.

I believe I have everything on this windstar fixed that I have knowledge of except one thing.

Our rear lights sometimes stay on after key is out of ignition as well as our rear heater turns on high occasionally when car starts. Rear wiper blade also goes on every once in a while. My main concern is the lights coming on after we exit the car. (battery draining reasons)

Is this most definitely a Rear Electronic Module issue? Can I fix the unit if I open it? Or do I need a new one. If I need a new one does anyone on here have one for sale or know someone who does. The cheapest I can find them online is a used one for 125+shipping on ebay and i dont trust ebay used parts as I have had issues before. Any help there guys? New at the ford dealer was 325. not installed of course.

wiswind
01-04-2009, 07:43 AM
I wonder if you give the switch on the brake pedal shaft (inside the passenger compartment) a look.
It is called Brake ON OFF switch (BOO).
I have pictures of this in the pictures that the link in my signature takes you to.
Mine failed the other way.....no brake lights (and would not shift out of park with the motor running).
I do not think that our '96 windstars have the REM unit.
The wiring for the brake lights is straight forward.
So....liking cheap and easy solutions.....I am thinking that maybe your "BOO" switch is sticking?

CHRISTMAN
01-13-2009, 05:39 PM
Sooooo....The problem came back in full force today. I was about 1/4 mile from my neighborhood when it kicked out of gear like I mentioned above. This time it didnt seem to want to power up as I pressed the pedal once it was back into gear. I got home, got out of car and noticed a long line of red fluid that followed right up to under my windstar. I know I have a tranny problem, but any ideas on where to start? It was smoking like crazy once I got off becaue of all the fluid that leaked inside the engine on everything.

Fun times.

wiswind
01-13-2009, 07:02 PM
First thing is to find where the fluid is leaking from.
Then.....of course why...if not a seal or gasket.
This is a time that a TRUSTED mechanic comes in handy.....to give the transmission a good diagnostic.

Is the fluid flowing through the cooler when the engine is running?......if not overheating is a likely cause.
But if it is not flowing through the cooler....short of a obvious pinched line.....then you have serious internal repairs due as the cooler would likely be clogged by crud from parts that have ground up and gotten into the fluid.....and clogged the cooler passages (can require the whole radiator assembly to need replacing if the cooler cannot be cleared out).

When a transmission overheats.....fluid can come out.

When you are low on fluid......then it can cause the transmission to not engage......as well as damage the transmission.

Was the correct fluid used when the fluid was changed at the 30K mile intervals?

It is possible that you are looking at a need for a complete overhaul of the transmission......and the best route to go there is getting a remanufactured unit......from a very reputable source such as FORD (3 year warranty).

Add your comment to this topic!