Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Recommendation on Plugs/Wires ?

pkucan
12-25-2008, 02:04 PM
Just picked up a 98 GJC 6 banger. Saw the posts on champion plugs but there are a number of them at the parts store. Any particular ones? I'll stay away from Bosch but what about AC delco or autolites? I'll be replacing the wires too but it seems they are all the same?
Thanks

wafrederick
12-25-2008, 05:39 PM
Stick with the Champions which are recomended by Chrysler only.Stay away from the cheap plug wires from AutoZone and Advanced,nothing but headaches and you will replace them a lot.I see nothing nothing but problems with cheap plugwires.You can get them from the dealer,CarQuest's top of the line plugwires are great and do this once.

MagicRat
12-26-2008, 08:22 AM
Good advice on plug wires. I found out the hard way that some (not all) private label plug wires are terrible. Don't cheap out. Spend some decent money on name-brand wires and they will last for many years.

Saw the posts on champion plugs but there are a number of them at the parts store. Any particular ones? I'll stay away from Bosch but what about AC delco or autolites?

Usually I am a fan of going for OEM parts. However, I have had nothing but trouble with Champions in the past and would never buy them now. Bosch, AC Delco, Autolite plugs are all excellent.
BTW, why are you staying away from Bosch plugs? IMO they are just about the best out there.

wafrederick
12-26-2008, 12:34 PM
Chrysler products run like crap with Bosch plugs and I have seen this.I see nothing but problems with Bosch plugs.My father hates them too,throws them away if he sees them installed.I had a 1996 Dodge Intrepid run like crap after replacing the engine in it,ran like crap after replacing the engine and found out it was the Bosch plugs in the replacement engine.Threw them away and put in Champions.Ran like a champ after putting in Champions.If you want a missfire in a Chrysler product,put in Bosch plugs.Check the gap also,will crush the gap even in the box from shipping.Had a Jeep do this,would not run because the gap on the new plugs were closed right up.

pkucan
12-26-2008, 12:56 PM
I am leaning toward staying away from bosch due to searching this forum. I value the advice from jeep user experiences. What works for many should work for the few.

MagicRat
12-26-2008, 10:22 PM
I am leaning toward staying away from bosch due to searching this forum. I value the advice from jeep user experiences. What works for many should work for the few.
I have never paid much attention to Bosch comments here at AF because I didn't think there was a problem with them. I do not intend to contradict other people's experiences with them, though.

However, I do hang out at a Cadillac-only forum. According to the forum users there and my own experience, the GM 'Northstar' V8 uses Bosch platinum plugs and wires which regularly last 100,000 miles between replacement. Nobody there has reported any problem with this interval.
Many European cars use these plugs and wires as well, with similar long-life maintenance intervals.

wafrederick
12-29-2008, 09:01 PM
If you want to watch bosch plugs thrown way,watch my father do it and he does this when seeing Bosch plugs.He did this to a Ford Bronco last time I seen a PT Cruiser run like crap,with brand new Bosch plugs,threw them away and ran like a champ after replacing them with Champions.

91 bird
01-10-2009, 11:23 AM
i have a 2000 GCL with the 4.7 power tech. been running bosch for the five years i have had it. no problems yet. i also run these plugs in my nissan and both trans ams. no problems. just an opinion.

Add your comment to this topic!