Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Brake Fluid

harley320
12-25-2008, 09:09 AM
I have an 03 Windstar I have had to put brake fluid in every week for a month now. I can find no leaks and there are no spots on the garage floor the brake light comes on when the fluid gets low and the van stops fine. Anyone have any ideas.:banghead:

12Ounce
12-25-2008, 10:30 AM
There is a pressure switch under the master cylinder that is a known leaker. If that is it, it can be replaced easily. Price is about $20 or less.

harley320
12-25-2008, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the reply do you think the pressure switch could be related to why my cruise control stopped working about the same time the fuse is not blown but I notice when I turn on the cruise the indicator light on the dash comes on for about a second then goes off and the cruise does not engage.

garync1
12-25-2008, 03:45 PM
If you find no leaks there check also the equalizing valve or AKA proportion valve under the driver side area of the van. The O rings in it have been known to fail on 2001 and later models. causing also loss of fluid. You can pull the valve off and replace the oring with a little effort though. You have to dig the tiny o ring out. And find one to replace it. I think the valve itself cost about 70.00 bucks.. But thats only if you don't find other known leaks around the switch area. The valve will most likely have four lines running to it.

wiswind
12-25-2008, 05:21 PM
The pressure switch on the bottom of the master cylinder caused my cruise control to not work when it started leaking.
So, a leaking pressure switch could well be the root cause of both problems.
It has also been known to cause a fire, so I would disconnect the electrical connection to it until you get it replaced.

mundy5
12-25-2008, 06:28 PM
harley, I have an 03 as well but my brake pressure switch is the new model not the one that has traditionally given problems. but the two issues are normally connected. I'd check it just to be sure b/c that is a lot of brake fluid you are adding especially since i don't add any at all.

harley320
12-26-2008, 11:51 AM
Thanks guys problem fixed pressure switch was leaking fluid all over connector. A trip to dealer for a new switch it comes as a kit with new harness easy to replace and cruise control also works again.

northern piper
12-26-2008, 03:51 PM
Hey Harley, take a good look at your transmission range selector (TRS) switch which is below the brake fluid reservoir. I had the same leaky brake pressure switch with resulting TRS failure. My local ford said that on my van, a 2000, the switch was electronic and not prone to failure. Had me running around in circles trying to diagnose a start problem. Once I pulled the TRS and looked at it, it was covered w brake fluid inside and out. I only had a little leak so I'd assume yours would be pretty wet.

Just fyi, this may be a repair in your future.

Piper

harley320
12-27-2008, 06:09 AM
I did notice that when i had it apart it was pretty wet what kind of problems did it cause for you?

northern piper
12-28-2008, 06:58 AM
The first problem was a flashing OD light for no apparent reason. That had me chasing transmission problems without any luck
Then I had several instances of non-starting. I had replaced the alt,battery,starter as they all were in need so I knew my charge system was good.
My Ford guy said that "rarely" do TRS's go bad. I guess he meant "on their own" because when contaminated with brake fluid they seem
To fail pretty easy. I replaced the TRS, no more flashing OD and no more unreliable start.

Piper

Add your comment to this topic!