Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

My smoking 01 rodeo..

nashville_rodeo01
12-24-2008, 02:24 AM
I was wondering how i could fix it without taking the entire engine apart...it only does it when i start it and if i get over 40 mph..

pharm_rodeo
12-24-2008, 04:15 AM
I was wondering how i could fix it without taking the entire engine apart...it only does it when i start it and if i get over 40 mph..

You're going to have to provide better details.

1. Truck specs
2. Is it white or black smoke?
3. Where is the smoke coming from? Engine bay or exhaust?
4. Any recent maintenance?

Ramblin Fever
12-24-2008, 09:45 AM
Is it driven much?

Mine will do this upon starting it if I've let it sit for more then a week at a time.

Mine does not do it above 40 though, only when I first start it after sitting a while.

Could be a hundred things, but we need more input: Engine, mileage, year, maintenance, are you the original owner, also, how cold is your climate.

nashville_rodeo01
12-25-2008, 12:19 AM
Sorry it is a 2001, the v6 3.2 motor,4x4, just about to roll over to 92,000 miles, regular maintenance to factory specs, i live in Nashville TN so it gets up to 110 in the summer and as low as 5-10 degrees in winter, but it smokes in all weather,and it is a white kinda gray smoke, the end of my tail pipe is covered in a lot of black carbon more than is supposed to be there.

nashville_rodeo01
12-25-2008, 01:18 AM
or if i am towing my waverunner,and i have to get on it to get going.

Ramblin Fever
12-25-2008, 01:50 AM
Are you losing any antifreeze?

When have you last changed your spark plugs?

Does your truck use LOTS of oil?

Bluish-gray smoke is generally oil burning, or oil leaking past the rings; whiteish-gray is generally antifreeze leaking into the combustion chamber, IIRC

I wouldn't hope it would be anything major, 92k miles is nothing in comparison to my 188k miles, my engine has never been opened.

Has it ever been allowed to overheat? And, what does the temp gauge normally read at? Wondering if it's getting to normal temp.

Add your comment to this topic!