this is crazy!! timing help

tommym
12-23-2008, 11:09 PM
had low oil pressure after a sweet trip to land between the lakes in KY. so anyways, I replaced the motor with a used one, it's all hooked up and everything looks right. I've got spark, compression, fuel, injectors are firing. I've checked and rechecked the distributor, everytime I line up timing marks, check the distributor, it checks out. But tonite, I brought a timing light home, and the timing marks are not right, how is this possible?
anyways, thanks for the help

hundahunta
12-25-2008, 12:29 AM
year?

tommym
12-26-2008, 08:34 PM
1999 6 cyl, 5 speed.

hundahunta
12-27-2008, 04:37 PM
is the vehicle running?? any problems. there are no adjustments

wafrederick
12-27-2008, 05:58 PM
You do not set the timing or you will screw up the firing for the injectors.The part for the firing of the injectors is inside the distribitor.You do it with a scan tool.

tommym
12-28-2008, 08:37 AM
I put the distributor in from my other engine. that's what I mean with lining up marks, I set the crank to #1tdc, i then set the distributor into the block, once it's in and everything is lined up, I put cap and rotor on, hook up timing light, and when turning over, marks don't line up.

tommym
12-28-2008, 08:43 AM
ok let me clarify, when I swapped blocks, I kept my distributor, I line up crank marks to #1 tdc, i check this with a compression guage. then I set the distributor in place, and it is lined up on cyl #1 as well. when i crank it over, with a timing light, the marks on crank are not flashing correctly. am i missing something?

tommym
12-28-2008, 08:45 AM
oops, double posted, sorry.

xj31
01-02-2009, 11:01 PM
So I will repeat a question that was already asked.Is it running?The timing marks won't line up at tdc with a timimg light because the spark is advanced-it fires before tdc.So if it runs ok,then don't worry about it.Now if it doesn't start,you might have the distributor a tooth off.Or it could be 180 degrees off.You are sure its at #1 tdc and not #6?I don't mean to insult your intelligence,I just don't know you.I will assume you made sure #1 was on the compression stroke when you lined up the timing marks.Then if it doesn't start,try pulling the distributor and moving the rotor one tooth and see if it starts.If that doesn't help,move it the other way.The only other thing I can think of is if its a used motor and the crank balancer is damaged I have seen the rubber come loose and the outside of the balancer spins and then your timing marks will never line up.

Add your comment to this topic!