Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 JGC Overheating

Socaldiego
12-22-2008, 03:14 PM
99 Jeep overheating,I have replaced thermostat, water pump , fan relay , idle sensor , and still no luck. It doesn't happen consistantly only when it wants too but lately any time im idle for a few minutes it starts to overheat quiet a bit. I took it to the stealer (dealer) and they wanted to charge me $350.00 to check wiring from bumber to dash board.

What else can it be please help, I will be checking the fan clutch tonight if it stops raining.

hundahunta
12-22-2008, 11:00 PM
so your vehicle has a manual and electric fan??? is the electric fan turning pn

Socaldiego
12-23-2008, 10:16 AM
Ok so I checked my electric fan last night and it seemed to be fine,once it hit 210 it turned on. After reving it up for a little bit the fan kepted turning on but after I left it alone I noticed it started to overheat so I checked the fan again and what do you know it wasn't working.

So can anyone tell me what the problem is , the fan seems to be working only when it feels like it.

fredjacksonsan
12-23-2008, 05:28 PM
The fan comes on when the sensor detects a certain temperature.

I would suspect, with a vehicle that is 9 years old, that your radiator is restricted. Can you look inside the radiator? (I forget if you can on the 99). If you can, you will probably see some buildup of gunk inside...time for a replacement.

If you can't see inside, a good radiator shop will be able to do a flow test on your radiator and tell you if it is good or not.

Socaldiego
12-23-2008, 05:38 PM
I replaced the radiator around 6 months ago but I'll have it checked out, does anyone have any other possible answers?

Thank you for all your replies.

Socaldiego
12-23-2008, 05:46 PM
I've been reading that the electric fans have a thermostat, could that be the problem?

Also thinking of checking the relay in the fuse box.

fredjacksonsan
12-23-2008, 05:47 PM
Sorry, you didn't say the radiator had been replaced.

You may want to do a search here under "fan relay", there are several posts about replacing the relay and the situation is similar to yours.

hundahunta
12-24-2008, 11:33 PM
pressure test your radiator cap

Add your comment to this topic!