Supercharged 3800 engine, issues?

dhspring
12-22-2008, 09:33 AM
I'm thinking of buying a 2000 Grand Prix with a 3800 and supercharged engine, can anyone tell me if there are any significant problems with these engines? Are there any major issues with a supercharged engine that would steer one away? Is there any additional engine maintenance required?

Thanks!

fritcr
12-22-2008, 10:21 AM
Mine is not supercharged but I know they have the same Intake gasket problem as all of these cars. I think they also have the Valve Cover gasket problem which is not a big deal. As far as the Supercharger...I think you just have to change that oil in there every so often but I don't know how often. You could probably do a search and find out on here.
Rob

BNaylor
12-22-2008, 10:27 AM
How many miles are on this GTP?

tblake
12-22-2008, 10:44 AM
Problems mine has had....

-Crank Position Sensor
-MAF Sensor
-Lower Controll Arm Bushings (Just replaced them as preventative maintenance)
-Tie Rod Ends (just replaced them as preventative maintenance)
-1 Front Wheel Bearing
-Brake Pads/Rotors (also replaced the hoses)
-Cowl Seal Leak
-Driver side axel needs replacemernt (too cold of weather right now)
-Valve Cover Gaskets
-Coolant Bypass Elbows

So far no LIM gasket leaks.

dhspring
12-22-2008, 07:34 PM
False alarm, the car was an absolute piece of junk, and they wanted about $5000, had 83K miles on a 2000 model. I called a local Pontiac dealer who said if you don't have the records of oil changes on the S/Charger, then don't buy it, and that they last about 100k miles before they need replacement, dealer cost, around $3 grand to R and R, no thanks, I don't ever want one at that rate.

Now for the good news, we found a 98 Cadillac Eldorado, with the 4.6 v-8 northstar and chisled the guy down to $5k cash, it has 80k miles and appears to be a steal, provided we don't blow a head gasket which is quite common in the 95-2000 model years. But this car is in great shape, clean Car Fax, has a few issues, door panel are lose, but that's minor, but $5k for a Caddy would appear to be a nice Xmas gift. Thanks to all for the help and Merry Christmas to all.

BNaylor
12-22-2008, 08:24 PM
I called a local Pontiac dealer who said if you don't have the records of oil changes on the S/Charger, then don't buy it, and that they last about 100k miles before they need replacement, dealer cost, around $3 grand to R and R, no thanks, I don't ever want one at that rate.

83K miles is low mileage for a 2000 GTP. However, a used GTP should be looked at very closely just like any used car.

What the Pontiac dealer said is total nonsense and obviously do not know what the eff they are talking about. :screwy: The Eaton M90 Gen 3 Blower was designed to go at least 150K miles without any major mechanical failures or service like SC oil replacement. The only required maintenance specified by GM is to check SC oil level and refill if low every 30K miles. And you can get a brand spanking new not rebuilt Eaton M90 Gen 3 blower for around $600.00. Rebuilts a lot less than that.

tblake
12-23-2008, 12:49 AM
105k on my eaton m90 and I dont even have a ratteling coupler. Still makes fill boost like a champ.

jessiebighamKC
12-23-2008, 04:44 AM
I called a local Pontiac dealer who said if you don't have the records of oil changes on the S/Charger, then don't buy it, and that they last about 100k miles before they need replacement, dealer cost, around $3 grand to R and R, no thanks, I don't ever want one at that rate.

I have a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix that has 215k miles on it. And when I got it, it had 94k. I havent had ne major problems with the motor and/or the S/C. I've just kept up maintence on it and fix any thing that goes go wrong with it But nothing major. But the person that owned it before me had a valve cover leak and got onto the exhaust manifold and caught the wiring harness on fire! Still has original motor and S/C. And it still runs great. 13.9 1/4m stock

richtazz
12-23-2008, 08:53 AM
False alarm, the car was an absolute piece of junk, and they wanted about $5000, had 83K miles on a 2000 model. I called a local Pontiac dealer who said if you don't have the records of oil changes on the S/Charger, then don't buy it, and that they last about 100k miles before they need replacement, dealer cost, around $3 grand to R and R, no thanks, I don't ever want one at that rate.

Now for the good news, we found a 98 Cadillac Eldorado, with the 4.6 v-8 northstar and chisled the guy down to $5k cash, it has 80k miles and appears to be a steal, provided we don't blow a head gasket which is quite common in the 95-2000 model years. But this car is in great shape, clean Car Fax, has a few issues, door panel are lose, but that's minor, but $5k for a Caddy would appear to be a nice Xmas gift. Thanks to all for the help and Merry Christmas to all.

Passing on a Grand Prix GTP and opting for a Cadillac Eldorado is like turning down a date with Anna Kournikova to go out with Rosie O'Donnell!!! The GTP is quicker, cheaper to own and maintain, gets better gas mileage, and I think is a much better looking car.

I hope you enjoy paying to replace parts such as the $750 each electronic struts that are most likely already junk, as well as the $4000 engine rebuild when (not if, when) the head gaskets blow, the $600+ tuneup, etc...

tblake
12-23-2008, 10:44 PM
Not to mention....

to the OP, ask the dealer to point out the starter for you. If he even starts looking himself and points and goes "its down there" I would walk away.

Do some research and find out where it is. i'm sure you'll be suprized

jrmy1krn
12-25-2008, 10:45 PM
Mine filled boost from the factory until around 200k with only changing oil in it once but I had to add oil a few times. Now I have the belt off it because the idler pulley bolted to the water pump froze and then melted, also destroying the belt and another pulley. So in short, if the SC quits working the car does drive without it, just ALOT less fun.
Other than that the dealership was trying to sell you a new Trailblazer IMO. You can trust those dealers for one thing, taking your money.

Add your comment to this topic!