Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Storing gas.

longlivetheZ
12-22-2008, 04:19 AM
After paying as much as $4.30-ish for gas not too long ago, seeing 5-year-record low gas prices makes me want to "bomb shelter" this cheap gas. How would it be possible to stockpile this ~1.50/gal gas for the inevitable rise that's coming? I'd love to build up to 2 or 3 55gal drums of gas in my garage while gas is cheap and have a small hand pump for when it goes back up.

Is stockpiling fuel like this possible/practical?

--Brent

'97ventureowner
12-22-2008, 11:24 AM
IMO it's a risky venture. You'd have to stabilize it to be able to last any length of time, and storing it in the garage may not be a safe option. The problem with gas is that if not stored properly or in optimal conditions, it breaks down rather quickly.
I was just discussing the prices of gas in recent months with my neighbor, who operates a farm. He told me that he bought a large quantity of gas in December of 1999 in anticipation of Y2k, (remember the doom and gloom that was predicted and gas would be hard to get?) He paid .88/gal back then and still has a small amount left that he has been slowly using over the years. He said it has a varnish like odor and only uses it in his older machinery. I believe he stores his fuel in an above ground large capacity tank.

oldblu65
12-30-2008, 01:40 AM
This would be a very risky ( safety wise ) venture . You certainly could not store it in or anywhere close to your house ! You would also have to invest in fuel stabilizer and considering the volume of gas you mentioned , I'm not sure it would be economically viable to do this . The safety risk is the biggest liability you face . Let us know what you decide ! Just be safe !

sofi
02-16-2009, 03:44 AM
HI, are there any news from oldblu65 ?
I also want to ask..is it possible to install a car in a way that I can use both ? mean gas and diesel ?:confused:

oldblu65
02-16-2009, 01:13 PM
HI, are there any news from oldblu65 ?
I also want to ask..is it possible to install a car in a way that I can use both ? mean gas and diesel ?:confused: sofi , what kind of news are you looking for ? If you're asking is there a car produced that can run off gasoline and diesel fuel , I would have to say no . Gasoline and diesel engines require totally different engine configurations
to operate .

karnovking
03-26-2009, 04:13 PM
I heard a long time ago that there are laws that tell you how much gallons of fuel one can store on a residential property. Don't know if it is true or not, just hearsay. Even if this is true I doubt it would be enforced unless your house burned down or something.

Add your comment to this topic!