brake lights staying on

BNSFPITBOSS
12-22-2008, 02:43 AM
I have a 2000 Buick Century and the rear brake lights sometimes stay on after I shut down. Just the main brake lights, not the top light. I'm leaning towards a bad brake light switch does that make sense to anyone? Thanks for any help.:uhoh:

BNaylor
12-23-2008, 08:09 AM
Welcome to AF.

If the third brake light was good wouldn't the switch at the brake be good? I recall the same switch is used for cruise control deactivation so check that for operation. A common issue could be the multifunction and hazard warning switch at the steering column and stalk.

richtazz
12-23-2008, 11:07 AM
welcome to AF

I agree with Bob that since the 3rd brake light works, the problem is most likely with the turn signal/multifunction switch in the steering column. All power to the main tail lamps is routed through the T/S-M/F switch, but the 3rd brake light is direct from the brake lamp switch.

BNSFPITBOSS
12-23-2008, 01:27 PM
I have a Hanes manual for this car,is there any more info I may need to get to the t/s-m/f switch. Is this something I should just change or it there some testing the I can do with switch still installed? Thanks for the info,Corey

BNaylor
12-23-2008, 03:55 PM
What does it do when you activate and release the hazard warning switch? Do it a few times. The brake lights go right through the contacts of the hazard switch. It is diificult to troubleshoot the circuit so really not much relative to other parts change. Also you could remove and reseat the MFS electrical connector which is shared with the ignition switch electrical connectors located at the bottom of the steering column in the dash.

Add your comment to this topic!