Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

transmission trouble

dwhite1957
12-20-2008, 01:41 PM
I have a 94 dodge ram 2500 with cummins diesel and automatic transmission. Recently I was on the highway and the transmission temperature light came on. The transmission started shifting often. I don't believe it was slipping just down shifting and then upshifting.

I made it to a dealer he put a meter on it said the temp of the tran. oil was 300+ degrees. The fuel is clean, unburnt and at the proper level. He suggested replacing the tranny.

I am wondering if it the transmission temp. sensor.

The light will go on and off, while it is off It seems to shift ok.

Any suggestions

wafrederick
12-20-2008, 02:31 PM
Did you check the condition of the fluid,if it is pink in color and that is good.If it looks like motor oil and smells bad,not good and has smoked clutches.ALso use the Mopar fluid,ATF+4 fluid only in the transmission.

dwhite1957
12-20-2008, 03:12 PM
The fluid is a nice pink color, does not smell.

wafrederick
12-20-2008, 07:15 PM
It could be the throttle position sensor and it is a common problem.Try doing this,start it in neutral,warming it up and put in what gear you want it in.Chrysler products do have problems with the torque converters draining when cold.

dwhite1957
12-21-2008, 09:07 AM
I started it in neutral let it warm-up 10 - 15 minutes. Then placed it in drive. It went in ok, I then tried to move it with the emergency brake on in drive and at about 1200 rpm was able to move the truck. This indicates to me the transission did not slip.

It was 36 degrees out, and when I started the truck the transmission temp light was on and stayed on.

Dave

angus10
12-21-2008, 10:10 AM
Could be the temp sensor is bad. IIRC is is located in one of the fluid lines going to the cooler. Check the wires and clean the plug. And did they check for codes? Providing you have a 4 speed auto , the shifting you feel is the tranny going from 4th (OD) down to 3rd. When the fluid cools off enough it will go back to 4th(OD).

dwhite1957
12-21-2008, 12:41 PM
It is a four speed auto. They put the scanner on it I assumed he was checking for codes. He did not say which ones came up. He did say the scanner was telling him the oil temp was above 300 degrees.

big byrd
12-21-2008, 01:35 PM
You should find out what type transmission filter are on this system. Is it an internal filter strainer type that requires that you remove the trans pan to access it or is it a spin on like an oil filter etc etc. Either way I would change it regardless... both the filter and the fluid to be safe.

DOES THE ENGINE TEMP STAY IN THE NORMAL RANGE WHEN THIS TRANS BEHAVIOR ACTS UP?

If the engine temp remains normal during all this, chances are that this is only a tran temp sensor issue.
If the tranny realy was getting that hot the engine temp would simoltaniously rise also even if slightly slower.

dwhite1957
12-21-2008, 06:53 PM
The engine temp stayed normal. Did not rise at all.

I am thinking the filter is internal, There is no external filter other than fuel and engine oil. I am taking it to a garage tomorrow to find out what is going on.

The more feedback I get from you folks the more I think it the tran. temp sensor.

dwhite1957
12-23-2008, 01:49 PM
The transmission folks took the pan off and found metal shavings. they are replacing the transmission for me will have my truck back next tuesday maybe:(

clutch492
12-31-2008, 10:32 AM
What a waste. You are getting taken to the cleaners. Every time I have ever taken off a transmission pan, I have always found a little metal flaking in the pan. It is very common. I think all the other people on this forum are correct. The trans temp sensor is bad. My Uncle had a 94 dodge Ram just like yours. He replaced the transmission, just like you are doing, and it still shifted the same and the light was still on. Upon changing the temp sensor, it shifts just fine, again.
I am sorry to hear that you replaced the transmission.

dwhite1957
01-07-2009, 06:11 PM
The transmission has been replaced,it is shifting the way it should.

Add your comment to this topic!