Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Which compressor?

Some_Kid
12-19-2008, 08:07 PM
Hey guys I'm trying to decide between the Iwata Sprint jet or the Smart jet compressors. Both go up to 35 psi which is adjustable. I recently ordered the Iwata revolution CR airbrush as I am starting a new with airbrushes as my previous ones have crapped out on me. What would you recommend and have you used either of these compressors before? Is 35 psi more than enough for modeling? I plan to use the CR with acrylics, lacquers, and alcalad paints. But I would like to try zero paints and urethane clearcoats in the near future. Would the 1-35 psi range suit all of these paints?

Im sort of leaning to the sprint jet as of now because it looks like a pretty decent deal on a few sites($160).

Anyhelp would be appreciated.

taliesen
12-19-2008, 08:22 PM
I haven't used either of them personally - but I did upgrade from one similar to the Iwata Power Jet. I'd give some serious thought to picking up a compressor with a storage tank built in, especially if you're going to use it a lot and you don't live alone or if you're in an apartment. The ability to store off some compressed air means less noise intrusion, but it also eliminates the pulsing you can sometimes get on the tank-less type when spraying at higher pressures and/or for longer periods of time. It also allows the compressed air to cool off, which means it will carry less moisture. And having two hose connections has been an added benefit - I have my older Paasche airbrush hooked up to use as a duster on one, and the newer/better Iwata brushes on the other.

Just my $0.02 . . . .

MPWR
12-19-2008, 08:22 PM
1-35 psi more than covers the operating range you will use with your airbrush. I use mine between 10 and 25 psi. A good regulator and water trap is a must. Some airbrushes come with them, and they can certainly be purchased separately (and not terribly expensively) for those that don't.

Otherwise, the compressor makes rather little difference. Having one that's not terribly loud is nice. But it's kinda like comparing electricity generated by burning coal versus generated by wind turbines- you really can't tell the difference as you're using it.

cyberkid
12-20-2008, 05:41 AM
I personally like an industrial compressor. I used to have a 1.5hp with 25 gallon tank, but I had to downgrade due to moving into a apartment.
Like mentioned above, whatever the HP your compressor is, I strongly suggest you get one with a storage tank or hook up a storage tank yourself.
I personally prefer the 1hp+ compressors as the psi can go up to 80+, good for dusting off the modeling table... or my computer...

willster127
12-20-2008, 10:36 PM
I use a nitrogen bottle that I got from a welding supply store, everything all up cost me about $250 with the regulator, the bottle itself is CHEAP!!!!!

I've had the same bottle for about 2 years with no refills, which are $65 apparently, and I still have 1000 psi left in the bottle, I think I started with 1500!!

Benefits are multiple, absolutely silent, it's effectively a huge reservoir so pressure is absolutely constant, and most importantly, Nitrogen is a dry gas so no moisture problems. I will never entertain using a compressor for hobby purposes, it's definitely worth looking into.

CrateCruncher
12-21-2008, 10:37 AM
Those dinky airbrush compressors are way overpriced and have to run constantly to deliver air. Unless you are seriously lacking workspace do consider buying a larger compressor. I bought an 80psi "pancake" style compressor with 2 gallon tank for $125 at Sears. It came with a regulator, regulator gauge and tank pressure gauge so I can see when things are set correctly. Negatives: It weighs about 25 lbs and is kinda loud. However, I have attachments to fill car tires, dust the computer, even drive a nail gun to reroof my garage! It's become a versatile tool I use all the time.

Add your comment to this topic!