Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2001 tahoe 4wheel drive problem

tahoe4x4guy
12-19-2008, 01:15 PM
As it turns out it is not the transfer case that is leaking but the front differential that is leaking. Which is leaking through the drain plug,now i know some people will say to tighten it and i already trued that but it is still leaking.I had posted a thread some time ago and when you put the truck from 2hi to 4 hi you get a sound like you are driving over gravel or road salt and as you turn the truck would slow down almost to a stop but when you put it back into 2hi from 4hi it would drive fine. So would any one have any suggestions on how to fix the leak or fined a replacement plug.
:lol:
Thanks Tahoe4x4guy.

j cAT
12-19-2008, 01:37 PM
As it turns out it is not the transfer case that is leaking but the front differential that is leaking. Which is leaking through the drain plug,now i know some people will say to tighten it and i already trued that but it is still leaking.I had posted a thread some time ago and when you put the truck from 2hi to 4 hi you get a sound like you are driving over gravel or road salt and as you turn the truck would slow down almost to a stop but when you put it back into 2hi from 4hi it would drive fine. So would any one have any suggestions on how to fix the leak or fined a replacement plug.
:lol:
Thanks Tahoe4x4guy.

the front dif has a drain plug washer...if the washer is cracked it will leak....replace only the washer or get a new drain plug with the magnet that should be in it....

no sealants are used...

do not over tighten...10-15lbs

tahoe4x4guy
12-24-2008, 05:12 PM
washer replaced put in new gear oil and so far so good.

Add your comment to this topic!