Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

231 V6 3.8l

Airboater
12-19-2008, 08:00 AM
New to the forum. Would like some advice on a 1989 Buick 3.8 engine Pro #LN3. I am going to use this engine in and airboat for my wife. I would like to get rid of the fuel injection, install a allum intake manifold, install a 4 barrell carb, and install headers. Reason being airboat use is much different than a car. The less you have the less can go wrong. Do any of you have any pointers in doing this job. I'm and old points, and carb guy. I run a 507 Cadillac on my boat blue printed and balanced. Any help would be appreciated. Scott

Blue Bowtie
12-21-2008, 11:41 AM
There are aftermarket carb intakes available for this engine, but that application is almost screaming for a small turbo/QuadraJet like the early Turbo Buicks used (1978-up). If you could scavenge one of those for your project, you may be onto something good. With that setup, the right ratio, and careful screw selection, the little Buick might just about be able to keep up with the Caddy.

The factory turbo setups would put out plenty of bottom torque and easily make 330 HP at the crank. It wouldn't be the torque monster that the Caddy is, but with the right belt drive, the power would feel the same until the prop cavitated from overspeed on the Buick.

The ladies and guys on the Turbo Buick forums should be able to offer plenty of advice and experience about constructing and running high-output Buick one-gallon engines.

Add your comment to this topic!