Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Replace dex with standard?

Cobber
12-19-2008, 02:25 AM
I am about to replace the rad in my 2002 Venture and I was wondering if I should replace it with dexcool or one of the "for every model" type.

before any one mentions it I am replacing the thermostat aswell

Thanks

rockwood84
12-20-2008, 10:34 PM
replace the t-stat with one made in the usa .don't put one that is made in mexico as it will not open and you'll be pulling it back out . i stopped using dexcool feb./05 and have used the regular all model green stuff since.

'97ventureowner
12-21-2008, 12:19 AM
Your modern engine was designed for the Dex cool , and it would be a good idea to continue using it. Many of the "issues" blamed on Dex Cool in the past are actually rooted in other areas such as poor maintenance, air infiltration into the cooling system, and poor materials used for the gaskets to name a few. There is a story about why continuing the use of Dex Cool is recommended on the basis that other coolants may harm certain engine parts. You can read more about it here:http://free-auto-repair-advice.blogs...label/Dex-Cool .
I'd be wary of some of the other coolants on the market labeled as "for every model". Some may not have the proper protection package, or enough of it. I've continued to run Dex Cool in my GM vehicles that came from the factory with it and have not had any major issues. It's what is the recommended coolant. Trying to save some money by using a cheaper coolant can end up costing more "down the road."

Add your comment to this topic!