Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Paint job problem

Ghost_9418
03-20-2003, 04:16 PM
I was spraying the 4th coat of Testors Gloss Orange on the body of a model when the crappy testors nozzle decides to ruin my paint job. The nozzle shot out large blobs of paint on my car and now I have 3 dime size blobs of paint on my car with orange peel.
What would be the best way to fix the problem without repainting? I was thinking of just letting it dry and sanding the blobs off with a low grit sand paper. Would would be the best size grit to remove this?:(

Vyacheslav
03-20-2003, 04:26 PM
hmm try something above 600 grit sand paper. maybe 2k
yes sand it off a bit, and repaint. Dont forget to clean the nozzle while you spray, since every nozzle lets some paint out while working.

Ghost_9418
03-20-2003, 04:27 PM
thanks, I have some 2000 grit laying around.:D

Vric
03-20-2003, 04:38 PM
always get this problem with testor

Do you a favor, and Buy Tamiya paint.. if you can't get Model master paint (made by testor, but better quality)

Ghost_9418
03-20-2003, 04:42 PM
I think I should use tamiya from now on. I always get tempted by the $3 price though. Is boyds paint the same as testors?

Vric
03-20-2003, 05:59 PM
I always wanted to save the 3$ too. but I will never buy anything other than Tamiya... it's way easyer to get a good paint job

Ghost_9418
03-20-2003, 08:00 PM
I just checked the body and it seems the blobs have flattened out and are dry. 2000 grit should be able to take care of them.:)

k_dog
03-20-2003, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Vric
I always wanted to save the 3$ too. but I will never buy anything other than Tamiya... it's way easyer to get a good paint job

Must be nice...I pay 5$
Brian

Peteex
03-20-2003, 11:46 PM
I like testors, then again I've used them for ten years and actually understand how to paint with them. Tamiya sprays do make it easier to get a good result on the first try, but I like the way testors paints buff out in the end. I will admit there were a few disasters, and it has a way of not reacting well to putty and other fillers when used to liberally, but its what I will use probably for the rest of my life. All you need to do is find a technique. I new someone who could get a mirror smooth finish out of a $.97 can of paint from walmart. And I'd rather do a little more work and experiment than pay three times as much and take the easy way. I'm not bashing tamiya paints, or people who recommend them, but I'm just pissed at people who refuse to believe that testors paint is anything other than crap.

But any way, I find that when painting with testors, it's best to use the color very lightly to get even coverage, and then, right after the last color coat has gone on, let it get tacky, and follow up immediately with one light coat of testors high gloss, warmed in hot, not to hot, water(don't want the can to explode), followed two minutes later buy a full heavy coat of gloss, the thing I like about testors paint is that it tends to shrink alot when it dries, thus making something that looks like its got to much paint on it, come out perfectly after it's dried for 48-72 hours.

hope that helped :)

Ghost_9418
03-21-2003, 08:52 AM
Ill remember that. I have some testors high gloss, but Ive never used it.

cph81
03-21-2003, 01:54 PM
what to do- throw all those testor out

tip for use the testor- put the nozzle in thinner after use and test them before use

suggestion- use tamiya or other japanese brand spray paint

Add your comment to this topic!