95 blowing 4x4 fuse

larry220
12-17-2008, 10:59 PM
Anybody give me any advice on this? (95 silverado 5.7L auto 4x4.) My 4 wheel drive quit working and blows the 4 wheel drive fuse on the left side of dash when I put it into 4 wheel drive. It has a manual shift lever on the floor(for the 4 wheel drive) and you can here it grind a little when you put in into 4x4 but the 4x4 lite doesnt come on and its still in 2 wheel and it blows the fuse right away. It was working fine and suddenly quit,

thanks for any help.

j cAT
12-18-2008, 09:00 PM
check all the wiring for damage...under the vehicle ..

larry220
12-19-2008, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the reply. I have checked and cant see anything obvious with the wiring.. I did work on this again last nite. I used an ohm meter and bugged across the fuse terminals, its is open with the lever in 2wheel but goes to dead short when lever in 4 wheel. So I then went to the transfer case and found the only set of wires I could see that go into the transfer case and unplugged them and the short went away.(even in 4 wheel). So I fugured it must be the sensor the wires go to.. I took the sensor out and and did some bugging on it and it seems to work the way one would think it should . It has a littel ball on one end and if you bug across the terminals it does work like a switch. If you push the ball in the terminals short,with the ball out the terminals bug open. Maybe the switch has a short to the case and its shorting out to the frame blowing the fuse or there is another short somewhere I cant find. I need to get a chiltons and study the wiring but it looks pretty straight forward and I was hoping to get some help on here.

All I know is what a time for this darn 4 wheel to quit working. Right in the middle of winter and more snow on the way.

Appreciate any help.

razorb
12-29-2008, 09:21 PM
Larry Had the same problem on a 88 .It sounds like the actuator on the front differential. simple fix , one bolt &one wiring harness. bout 80$ at the time diys

d_raven04
12-30-2008, 10:09 PM
i got the same problem in my 97, if u find out what the problem is let me know

Update i was working on mine today, and did some tests and it was my actuator, put a new one in and worked great, i put money on it that its your actuator

larry220
01-16-2009, 02:37 PM
Hello

Yes you guys are right. it was the actuator in front pumpkin. I wish i had read your replies before I took it to the dealer. I may have fixed it myself. The dealer told me that they cant even get new actuators for the 1996's anymore. That they changed to a newer style and it takes a different wiring harness to the pumpkin also. So 600 dollars later I now have 4 wheel drive again. I didnt want to pay the money but I live way out in the country and more snow was on the way and I sure didnt want to be stranded out there with out the 4 wheel.

Thanks for the replies. This site is great.

Add your comment to this topic!