Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

92 Regal Codes 13 and 44

mt_100
12-14-2008, 11:35 AM
I read a lot of other threads on this, random stall while running and then won't restart for a period of time and think it is the crankshaft position sensor everyone refers to, identical symptoms.

My question, is the crankshaft position sensor, and the camshaft position sensor the same thing?

I can't find mention on Autozone's site for a crankshaft sensor, only camshaft sensor.

GTP Dad
12-14-2008, 01:05 PM
No, the cam shaft sensor and the crank shaft sensor are two different things. The crankshaft sensor tells the computer when to fire the ignition. The camshaft sensor tells the computer that position of the camshaft. I suggest that you post your engine size and someone will help you with the issue.

mt_100
12-14-2008, 05:15 PM
Engine size is 3.8L.

richtazz
12-16-2008, 03:38 PM
Do you have a check engine light on, and if so, what is the code that is stored?

The three most common causes for random stalling in your car are the ignition module, ECM and Crank/cam position sensors, not necessarily in that order.
The ECM (the car's computer) is located under the hood on your car, and is exposed to the elements. This can lead to water/salt intrusion which causes the ECM to intermittently fail, then work again after a random length of time.

The ignition module is the part under the coil packs, and when they get hot the transistors can fail until they cool back down.

The Crank position sensor sends a signal to the ECM as to when to fire the spark plugs. The ECM also uses the signal from the cam position sensor to vary timing. Normally, a cam sensor will trip a code when it get bad enough to cause the engine to stall, but the crank sensor may or may not trip a code.

Your best bet is to check for injector pulse and spark when the car dies. if you have no injector pulse, the ECM is most likely the cause. If you have no spark, the ICM or crank position sensor are the prime suspects.

mt_100
12-17-2008, 08:06 AM
I have a 92 Regal Limited with the 3.8L engine and am getting codes 13 and 44. In my past experience with other GM products it was always either a vacuum leak or more likely the oxygen sensor.

I bought one for $25 but haven't put it in yet and asked the shop doing the alignment if they would, they said no; not a problem. He also said he would have to do a $90 computer diagnostic on it to find out which oxygen sensor it was causing the issue. He said there is the one I was going to replace, up on the top rear of the engine manifold area, and one by the catalytic converter as well.

So, am I right to replace the one I have or could it really be the other sensor that I am not aware of?

Oh, and I LOVE this forum!!!

mt_100
12-17-2008, 04:01 PM
I do, a 13 and a 44 so I am replacing the oxygen sensor and then I guess wai and see. Hopefully it isn't more expensive.

HotZ28
12-17-2008, 08:15 PM
You may very well have a bad 02 sensor and that can cause a drivability issue, however, it will not cause stalling when the engine is running and neither will a bad cam position sensor. The 02 only works in closed loop after the engine warms up and it is used to fine-tune the short-term fuel trim (STFT). If the 02 is nonfunctional, the engine may resort to open loop, but not stall. The cam sensor is used for timing the injector pulse to when the intake valve opens. If the sensor is bad, the injectors will continue to fire, but have one chance in six of being in time with valve opening. Symptoms usually include hesitation & stumbling upon acceleration, but not extended engine stalls. As mentioned earlier, check for spark, fuel pressure and injector pulse when the engine stalls.

Add your comment to this topic!