Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

a few concerns.

bmorebuick88
12-16-2008, 09:27 PM
I just have a few small concerns and questions that i hoped could be answered.

1. i have an 88 park ave, and i was wondering if the light on the oustide of the car in the middle of each door pillar was just for show, or do they actually come on. If they do come on, how do you go about changing the bulb, or should i look for a certain fuse?

2. The weather has started to get cold where i live, and now every day i normally have to turn the ignition(for a couple seconds, and pump on the pedal a bit) a couple times before my car actually starts up, and sometimes it will idle for like two seconds and then cut off(but the radio and stuff will still be on). So, i try again, and normally after it cuts off one time, its good to go after that. I was told that it might be the spark plugs(i haven't got them changed since i purchased the car back in march, and i doubt the previous owner switched them either). It wasn't an issue back in the summertime, and yesterday it was unusually warm, and my car started right up without any problems, but today it was acting up because it was freezing.

3. I checked the power steering,and i don't need to add anymore, but the steering wheel has become progressively stiff over the past few weeks, and when i turn the music down( :iceslolan ), when i turn the wheel to the left, i can hear a creaking sound. Can power steering fluid get old like oil, and you have to just drain all of it, and put some new fluid in their, and if so, how would you drain it.

4. It normally takes like twenty minutes for the heat to actually get warm in my car, and by that time, im usually at my desination, so most times i just drive around in gloves, a hat, and coat when its cold outside. Is there any way to make it heat up quicker?

Thanks for any help.

Besides that the car is basically perfect. It rides smooth, runs quiet, and i hardly ever have to do maintenance on it. It has 90k miles, and i don't want to get rid of it yet.

ZiggyPA
12-17-2008, 07:32 PM
Check your spark plugs and ignition wires. These can account for difficult starting in cold or damp conditions.
I very much doubt your power steering pump has anything to do with the noise when you turn left. Jack up the front end of the car and turn the wheels and see if you can locate the sound.
Your thermostat could be stuck in the open position. Even at low temperatures, the engine should warm up to operating temperature in something like 5 minutes.

bmorebuick88
12-18-2008, 01:36 AM
Check your spark plugs and ignition wires. These can account for difficult starting in cold or damp conditions.
I very much doubt your power steering pump has anything to do with the noise when you turn left. Jack up the front end of the car and turn the wheels and see if you can locate the sound.
Your thermostat could be stuck in the open position. Even at low temperatures, the engine should warm up to operating temperature in something like 5 minutes.

thanks for your help, i will check everything tomorrow. Now if i want to check and see if the thermostat is open, when i remove the housing, will i have to get a new gasket to put in between the housing once i put it back on to seal it again?

Hapynzap
12-18-2008, 07:37 AM
The coach lamps in the pillars between the door should light up. I don't think they sell replacement bulbs anymore but if you have lots of u-pull it yards in your area a month of Saturdays might get you a couple if you are lucky.

Add your comment to this topic!