Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Remote Start

CSR44
12-16-2008, 11:25 AM
Thinking of installing a remote starter in my 05, looking for any feedback on which one to go with? I would like to go with the harness connector if possible.

thanks,
csr44

ponchonutty
12-18-2008, 08:03 PM
There is no "harness connector" for your vehicle. Your truck has a very odd wiring system where there's only a few wires that go into the ignition switch. You'll have to by an interface as well to bypass the PK3+ system you have which will be another $50-$100 on top of the price of the remote start.

I like these in the following order.....

www.scytek.net
www.computstar.com
www.directed.com

66chevelle
01-06-2009, 03:37 PM
I always wondered myself about a remote start. I see that the late model GM's have a bump start feature where the key does not have to be held to the crank position until the engine starts. All you have to do it seems is touch the crank position and the engine starts on it's own. I would think that a very simple momentary contact switch is all that's needed? Am I right?

ponchonutty
01-06-2009, 07:59 PM
No. The reason is that most of these GM vehicles have the PK2 or PK3+ sytem inside the ignition switch. They need to "see" the key crank over because it causes the system to send out the needed information the BCM has to see in order to let the fuel injectors work properly. If you just install a push button switch, it'll start then stall like you are out of gas. Again, MOST gm vehicles are like this but not all of them. Obviously since remote starters can be installed in these vehicles, you COULD bypass the system and install a push button switch.

I always wondered myself about a remote start. I see that the late model GM's have a bump start feature where the key does not have to be held to the crank position until the engine starts. All you have to do it seems is touch the crank position and the engine starts on it's own. I would think that a very simple momentary contact switch is all that's needed? Am I right?

Add your comment to this topic!