Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Build to sell?

Zurbert82
12-15-2008, 08:56 PM
Hello,

Does anybody here have experience building kits to sell? I'm interested in building for clients and would like to know what to expect, your past experiences, and any advice or recommendations. I have only sold built models on eBay but I want to take it to the next level. I will still build for myself as I don't want to lose the enjoyment factor, but I'd like to profit from my talent.

~Chris

willimo
12-15-2008, 10:03 PM
I've only built a couple of gifts so I don't have any experience selling for clients. I know people who have and have seen them go through things that kept me out of it in the first place.

People won't want to pay you for what your time is worth. This is work! We enjoy the work, but it's work nonetheless. And, as you said, it's a talent; a skill. This is hard stuff to do, takes a lot of time, and I wouldn't be able to sell anything for the prices I'd be willing to make that effort for. If there's any level of customization, the time and work increases tremendously, and a lot (not all) of people and potential customers don't realize or appreciate this. A lot (not all) of people that might approach you for work won't understand why your model could cost a few hundred dollars and a diecast costs fifty.

Then comes the pressure of deadlines. I love building, but at my own speed. I've spent seven or eight months on one car and barely have anything to show for it. There's no way I could build, particularly if there was any more to it than just shaking the box, and get things done on time.

While you're a skilled modeler, what quality will your customers expect? Will you be able to meet those expectations at a price they think is fair? I'm not at all questioning your skill (please don't think that) but going along with the first point, people don't have the same expectations that other modelers have and might have really strange ideas in their heads. They might expect all doors and trunks to work and when they don't... well, they won't be very pleased on delivery. Don't think they won't expect things that weren't negotiated.

If you want to do it, go for it by all means. If you can get a price you want, stick to deadlines, and can make the customer happy, it's going to work out. I'd definitely suggest starting slow. One, maybe two at first and see how it goes. Be sure to negotiate what you think is fair right off the bat so there won't be any surprises for you or the customer. I don't know how much you intend to do, but take it easy so you don't burn out on your talent. This is a hobby for most of us, and most of us want to keep it that way. If you have the dedication, wherewithal, and ability to make it into more, go for it! Don't take my points as trying to scare you off, but just think carefully. I wouldn't ever do more than the odd model for sale here and there if that even, but you might really enjoy it and be able to put some extra cash in your pocket. Good luck!

blubaja
12-15-2008, 10:08 PM
PM tigeraid

voyageur
12-16-2008, 10:36 AM
You have two options:

1 - build for customers
2 - build for customers who value your skills, time and effort

If you decide on option 1, it is not unlikely that the customer is only willing to pay what the next best die-cast model would cost, demanding that it must be finished 'tomorrow' - but with all doors and lids working. Willimo covered all the negative aspects of that in his post.

If you find a customer as in option 2 (or more likely: if he finds you), you're a lucky man. People who really care about the subject to be built and also value the artists (yes! artists) skills, time and effort are the best people to work for. Sure, you must still meet deadlines, but the customer might be OK with a deadline if you can justify why you can't deliver on time.

you could set a number of rules for yourself when building for first-time-customers. First and most important: make a contract. This may sound very unromantic, but is often necessary with 'type 1' customers. The contract should at least include the following:

- subject to be build (incl. kit numbers, color numbers, etc.)
- level of detail (curbside, with engine, full detail, opening doors, working suspension, diorama, etc.)
- aftermarket parts (incl. numbers)
- supplies (who pays for paints, glue, putty, sandpaper, etc.)
- date of delivery (important: the customer will be very happy if you deliver before the deadline) :smooch:
- price (excluding supplies, aftermarket parts, etc.)
- payments (advance payment highly recommend!)

This list is not complete. I may post a sample contract next year after my holidays.

I personally think that every once in a while it is quite satisfying to build for somebody who really cares. And to be honest: you will never recover the time you put in a project - but being paid for something you would do as a hobby anyway is quite nice, isn't it? Not to mention the customers face when you hand him the model.

Whatever you do: the most important thing is that you are always honest to your customer and deliver exactly (or a little more than) what he ordered. Believe me: it does pay off in the end :smokin:

PS: deciding on option 1 often sucks and may be pricey (learned that the hard way several years ago)

Add your comment to this topic!