Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 tahoe 4x4 Problem!!!! Please Help

jchiquit
12-15-2008, 08:17 PM
I need help with my 1999 tahoe. I recently used my 4x4 on the truck for a day. I switched it back to 2HI when i was done. The next day i drove the truck for about a mile when it started acting up, it started hesitating to a point that when i stepped on the gas pedal, the truck would not even move. I tried puttin it on reverse and still no answer. All that could be heard was the zoom when stepping on the gas, it was like if it was a neutral.The next day I turned it on, it ran normal again but again I had the same problem after a mile.. Im thinking there might be an electrical problem or something is causing the 2HI to disengage.Any suggestions???

td2000
09-10-2009, 08:17 PM
Did you ever figure this out? Im having a very similar problem. Thanks Tracy

oscales
09-12-2009, 07:28 AM
I don't want to state the obvious, but have you checked tranny fluid could be low or need changing.

jchiquit
11-01-2009, 08:55 PM
yeah it ended up being the transmission. had it rebuild. the mechanic said that it would run until the fluid got hot. once it gets hot it get thin and the trans starts slipping.hope this helps.

manicmechanix
11-02-2009, 02:15 AM
As a temporary fix, i've heard transmission treatments like Lucas and others can thicken the ATF and have seal conditioners to help sealing and sometimes it will keep the AT from slipping. Chaning the fluid will also help to bring the ATF viscosity up. I wouldn't use ATF treatments in a good working AT though.

j cAT
11-03-2009, 06:02 PM
yeah it ended up being the transmission. had it rebuild. the mechanic said that it would run until the fluid got hot. once it gets hot it get thin and the trans starts slipping.hope this helps.

If the pressure drops after warm up this will need rebuild, not additives..

low pressure will cause slippage, and soon you will have no engagement..sounds like a bad repair job.

Add your comment to this topic!