2001 2500 HD duramax: fuel problems

glnmllr
12-14-2008, 04:24 PM
I have a 2001 2500 HD duramax that has been having fuel problems. They have told me that the problem is that the injectors are bad and need replaced. We are not sure that is the problem though. The motor does not run any different than normal when at an idle or when starting. It does not sound like it misses at all. There is no fuel in the oil and the fuel mileage a has not changed. The only time it acts up is when the motor is under a load such as pulling a trailer or when getting on the gas, the check engine light comes on and it loses all power. The injectors are a $4800 dollar fix and I'm not sure thats what is wrong with it. Any ideas to the problem would be helpful. If anymore information is needed to understand the problem let me know. Thanks you.

j cAT
12-14-2008, 04:41 PM
have you replaced your filters and checked fuel for contamination..

glnmllr
12-15-2008, 06:27 PM
I have replaced all filters and have taken it to several different dealers. When it started giving me trouble I was pulling fifth wheel. It problem didnt come slowly it just started when I accelerated one time and has been doing it ever since. Thanks for all your help.

j cAT
12-16-2008, 11:15 AM
I have replaced all filters and have taken it to several different dealers. When it started giving me trouble I was pulling fifth wheel. It problem didnt come slowly it just started when I accelerated one time and has been doing it ever since. Thanks for all your help.

fuel filters require replacement very often...some say 15,ooomi max...
your vehicle was manufactured with injector problems...they extended the warrantee on some of these engines 7yrs/200,ooomi...

because of the replacement difficulty all are replaced and many like you are faced with a very expensive fix...that is why owners change that fuel filter often...
what was your replacement interval?

glnmllr
12-17-2008, 10:18 PM
Im not sure what the replacement intervals were. I did not buy the truck new, it had around 120,000 miles on it when I bought it. They have been changed twice in less than 20,000 miles since I have owned it. I guess one question I have is how does an engine with bad injectors run? Does it miss, get worse fuel mileage? Or are the symptons different from one engine to the next? I really appericate all the help.

discnik
12-18-2008, 12:59 AM
If the "Check engine " light came on I would like to know what code it stored in memory. There seem to be several Tech Bulletins concerning the Duramax fuel system. The code could help narrow down which one might pertain to your problem.

glnmllr
12-18-2008, 06:42 PM
The chek engine light does come on when it starts acting up then will go back off before long. My dad had it in Minnesota the first time it happened and Advance Auto said the code came up as a major fuel leak.

discnik
12-19-2008, 01:13 AM
I would start with looking at the fuel pressure regulator's condition. If it has kind of a brownish discoloration this is supposed to be normal. If it is dark and scaly looking on the end I would look at replacing it and have a test done on the fuel injector pump.

patdenn
02-28-2009, 11:44 AM
I have a 2001 2500 HD duramax that has been having fuel problems. They have told me that the problem is that the injectors are bad and need replaced. We are not sure that is the problem though. The motor does not run any different than normal when at an idle or when starting. It does not sound like it misses at all. There is no fuel in the oil and the fuel mileage a has not changed. The only time it acts up is when the motor is under a load such as pulling a trailer or when getting on the gas, the check engine light comes on and it loses all power. The injectors are a $4800 dollar fix and I'm not sure thats what is wrong with it. Any ideas to the problem would be helpful. If anymore information is needed to understand the problem let me know. Thanks you.
My truck (Silverado 6.6; 2500 HD) has the same problem you describe. We replaced the fuel pump last Sept and now having the same problem when pulling the RV trailer. This only happens when pulling the trailer and we have only pulled it, now the second time, since having the fuel pump replaced last Sept. No problems at all when not pulling the trailer. Did you ever find out what the problem was with your truck?
Thanks for the help.

Add your comment to this topic!