Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Water in oil

keystoneeagle
12-14-2008, 12:45 PM
I just purchased a 06 colbalt with a 2.2 ecotec. I checked the oil and noticed condisation on the dipstick and pulled the oil fill and noticed a bunch on there too. The oil is not milky at all and is full. Is that condisation normal on these cars or should I have it looked at?

Blue Bowtie
12-15-2008, 02:22 AM
If you live in an area where temperatures routinely drop near freezing, condensation will occur more easily. If the vehicle is driven on short trips only, condensation will occur.

Make sure the CV valve is operating and the CC vent line is clear. Operate the engine to full operating temperature and maintain that temperature for at least 20 minutes in colder weather. This helps drive water out of the oil, allowing the PCV system to purge it from the crankcase.

rodeo02
12-20-2008, 08:07 PM
Doesn't sound like a big deal. Your 2006 was probably started/stopped a bunch of times and not taken on a decent 10+ mile trip in awhile, thus building up some condensation in the engine. The Ecotecs don't have a normal replaceable PCV valve per se. They do have a visible 'breather' hose running from the cam cover to the intake resonator, but I'm not sure where the 'vacuum' side of the PCV system is on these buggers. I've heard it's an orifice ported directly from the cyl head into the intake manifold. I'd get'er nice and warmed up, do an oil change and be done with it!

Joel

Add your comment to this topic!