Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Transmission Question...

bumpyjohnson
12-13-2008, 07:26 PM
Well, I think so at least.

Hi, this is my first post here as I stumbled across the page via google. I have a 95 GCL, with about 148k miles and an automatic transmission.

Okay, I hope I can explain my problem well enough.

I noticed this problem this week on my way home from work. When I would start from a dead stop at a light or pulling out of a spot the rvms ran higher than normal and it took a little longer for it get up and go. Today I noticed the car seemed extra loud and upon closer inspection it seemed to not go past second or third gear. On the highway home I almost red lined, something that I thought was damn near impossible in my car.

I'm nervous to drive it tomorrow and plan on bringing it to the mechanic Monday morning. I saw on the board here that it could be a fuse in the fusebox under the hood. I just went to look at it and had trouble yanking out the fuse, but it didn't look burned out.

Also for for the past few months now I've noticed a problem of the car stalling out on me at red lights and parallel parking, pretty much when I decrease power. It was a nuisance but I learned to live with it and to either pump the breaks or tap the gas and keep the car going.

Thanks for reading and I appricate any thoughts and opinions.

fredjacksonsan
12-13-2008, 10:36 PM
Bumpyjohnson, welcome to AF.

First thing to do is check the fluid level in your transmission. These trannies are sensitive to low fluid levels. If it's full (check the dipstick and your owner's manual, you will likely have to check while idling in neutral)

Second, any warning lights or codes? (Codes may be checked by turning the key to "on" then "off" 3 times within 5 seconds, then leaving on the last time....you should get some codes that come up on the odometer. If you do, post them up here.

Lastly, if you have the 4.0 liter 6 cylinder engine, you may have a bad CPS, or Crankshaft Position Sensor. There are many symptoms when this goes bad, and you have many of them.

So once you've checked the fluid level and the codes, post up and let us know.

I hesitate to say it, but 148K isn't a bad run for these transmissions and it may be time for a rebuild. But hopefully not.

dksob81
12-14-2008, 08:18 AM
Check you throttle cable adjustment on the throttle body. It could have even came disconnected.

Add your comment to this topic!