GS in Snow

Defiantz
12-10-2008, 09:12 AM
Ok, i moved up to Michigan from Florida, so my car is used to warm weather.

My GS is having COMPLETE issues handling in the snow. I believe its the tires, and my upper control arm bushing(or lack there of).

My upper control arm bushing in the rear have pretty much disinigrated. So my tires are kinda pigeon toed. I believe this is one of my main issues. Would that cause an issue with me getting traction on the snow and ice?

I also believe tires are my other issue. I have 17" Yokahama's on the front(that i purchased) and 17" offbrand on the back(that the former owner purchased). What tires would be the best?

I realize that some of you may say i dont know how to drive in the snow, but just look at it this way...I havnt ditched it yet:-) and i can drive my dads rwd el camino with little issues in the snow(well little is less that im having in my eclipse)

Please help me. I would hate to have to park my car for the winter.:banghead: :confused:

david-b
12-10-2008, 10:27 AM
You want the tires flat on the pavement in the snow, so any kind of camber will cause issues. Treads are there for traction and if they aren't on the group properly, they're not going to work properly.

I'm guessing you have lo-pros on those 17s? They generally suck for snow. Get yourself some stockers with some decent winter tires and you'll be good. That would be the best option IMO.

Defiantz
12-10-2008, 10:34 AM
Ok. Thanks. I was thinking it might be the pigeon toed tires...so i guess so. But to verify and make sure my point is across...the rear end, whenever i hit ice,bumps, or slush, kicks out from under me. So i will try to find some stocks, and get upper control arm bushings to pop em back out....they kinda look like this.

/\<---that:banghead:

Thanks for the help:-)

Say i were to just get all season low pro's? would that be better than what i have now? or should i just go stock rims and all season(or winter) tires?

david-b
12-10-2008, 10:54 AM
Ok. Thanks. I was thinking it might be the pigeon toed tires...so i guess so. But to verify and make sure my point is across...the rear end, whenever i hit ice,bumps, or slush, kicks out from under me. So i will try to find some stocks, and get upper control arm bushings to pop em back out....they kinda look like this.

/\<---that:banghead:

Thanks for the help:-)

Say i were to just get all season low pro's? would that be better than what i have now? or should i just go stock rims and all season(or winter) tires?

I would personally buy stockers. When I have my 17" Enkei RS6 with lo-pros I used the wheel that came with my car (not stockers but little 15") and switched them out every season. Now I don't use the rims and still riding on those 15s and traction now sucks. Try driving a turboed GS with weight reduction, stick, with crappy tires and see how hard it is to get traction.

Also, it's good idea for stockers incase you hit a pot hole or something hidden by snow. Don't want to bend your rim. Same with curbing them should you actually lose it.

Defiantz
12-10-2008, 10:56 AM
i was planning on getting winter tires for my rims...but ill just see if i can just get some 15" or 14" rims and slap some winter tires on it.

Thanks for all your help David

Defiantz
12-10-2008, 11:04 AM
quick recommendation...where would i be able to get some stocks? cant find any on craigslist, and i wanna see if theyd be cheaper than my peoples.

im in Grand Rapids, MI

david-b
12-10-2008, 11:20 AM
quick recommendation...where would i be able to get some stocks? cant find any on craigslist, and i wanna see if theyd be cheaper than my peoples.

im in Grand Rapids, MI

eBay? Hell junkyards would be good for wheels, as long as they're not dents and what not. Or pick up a cheap set from Pepboys. They got those cheap wanna-be-nice rims there for decent prices. Or put up a Want To Buy notice on craigslist. Amazingly those work.

Defiantz
12-10-2008, 11:21 AM
Ok, once again, Thanks. Its gonna be nice to be able to actually drive my car now:-) I really didnt want to park it for the winter:-P

Thor06
12-11-2008, 11:35 AM
I'd like to throw it out there that part of the reason you have no traction in ice and snow is because... well... you are driving in ice and snow. Even with great tires and no mechanical problems, driving in a midwest winter will be a bitch from time to time. Good luck!

Add your comment to this topic!