Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

why the brake/abs light on with 2002 windstar?

schadd1971
12-09-2008, 08:45 PM
I have had a 2001 and now a 2002 windstar and why does the brake abs light come on when it wants to.....may drive for a bit before it comes on.....have filled the master cylinder with brake fluid and keep it topped off (have noticed that a slight drop in fluid does set the lights off...but when full they still come on now and then....is it connected to the pressure switch? any ideas?

garync1
12-10-2008, 05:15 PM
Mine does this on my 2001 and its believed to be related with the ABS module. Also there is a site telling about it.. Some one posted it one here before down in the older post... What has happen they say on the site that the ABS module is over heating and started to short it self out.. Like mine on hot days comes on and have to turn off and restart to make it go out.. Now that summer is gone my lights have yet to come back on.. I noticed it happens on hot days.. Thought about taking it off and see if there something I could do to help it.. But not really worried about it now... It runs about 600 bucks to replace. They say the internals are melting and one day it will fry itself and the lights will stay on..

bulrid8
12-11-2008, 05:48 AM
Where is the module located?

I had a Honda that had a similar problem with a ignition module under the dash. Car would not start, once it overheated.

The fix for it was to pull it out. then drill small holes all over the box, for ventilation. You could even attach a small computer fan to help, if you wanted.

Wondering if something like that might help the ABS module on the windstar?

garync1
12-11-2008, 09:00 AM
Yea i thought about that.. But its under the driver side of the van.. Its under your drivers seat but its on the underside of the van. So the box is exposed to the elements of nature.. Wish I could find that web site that tells all about it.. Even showed the module's insides and what happening..

tripletdaddy
12-12-2008, 03:45 AM
If it is a metal box, epoxy some thin metal fins to it and that should cool it down. You could also add a small air deflector to add more breeze on it. That would help if the box is plastic. Since plastic is more of an insulator than a heat conductor like metal, I doubt adding fins to it would help as much as the air deflector. I imagine the only time overheating is really an issue is during the summer, which would be the same time you run the ac. Maybe with some creative ducting to the cold ac line underneath, you could cool it that way.

mtsav8or
12-12-2008, 09:46 AM
I've got this issue on my 2000 Windstar. It's got 175K+ now so I figure I can live with the ABS light. Even with the light on, ABS still works on mine.

The website explaining the ABS issues with Windstars is

http://www.fordwindstarrecall.info/

Good luck with your repair attempts.

Coastie John
12-17-2008, 06:10 AM
I guess I'm in the ABS light club too.:crying: The yellow ABS light on my wife's 2000 with just over 100K miles has been intermitantly coming on for a while. I suppose I'll need to check out the link and start chasing this down.

John

schadd1971
01-02-2009, 07:51 PM
hard to believe it overheating when its 20 degress outside and just started the van after sitting all day and the lights come on....

tripletdaddy
01-03-2009, 01:36 AM
mtsav8or, are you sure with the abs light on you have abs? Hmm, sounds like you may have a code that just needs to be cleared. Typically, the abs brakes won't work while the light is on because the abs bm will turn itself off and only regular brakes will be available. I had a code for too low voltage once that wouldn't go away even with a new battery. What got me was I didn't even know that was the code until AFTER I replaced the bad battery! Boy I was mad that such an inconsequential message wouldn't go away, even after the problem was corrected! That would be grounds for failing inspection and a ticket from the police if caught! I got lucky and found a dealer that gave me the procedure to manually read the code and clear it. Now I'm annoyed I don't have that written down!?! I'd be concerned there isn't a unresolved issue with it, mtsav8or.

schadd1971, there can be a variety of reasons that would cause the light to come on that may be easily taken care of by you. You can check all four exciter (gear toothed) rings and their sensors. Damage, dirt, incorrect spacing between them needs to be checked. The wiring and connectors to them as well. Disconnect, inspect, grease and clean if needed, and reconnect the connectors. It may be worth while to find an independent shop that will charge you a reasonable fee to read the abs codes for you to point you in the right direction.

Jerry Irons
01-05-2009, 08:59 AM
I have had my abs light come on in my 01 winnnie, 155K miles due to wheel sensors getting mucked up or going bad. Kind of to be expected I guess when you live near buffalo NY :smile:

Add your comment to this topic!