Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1994 Lesabre Intake Manifold....Problem Solved!

Tinkerin_wit_tools
12-09-2008, 08:15 PM
First off, a little backround car experience on yours truly. Started off last year, like everyone else does, wanting to do the little things to save a buck, such as changing oil, doing my brakes, even did a tune up myself and had to replace my wife’s SUV’s water pump and thermostat earlier this summer. I didn’t know if I could tackle this one on my own and tried to recruit some friends that wouldn’t bite, even if I paid them. You know that the shops will charge you quite a bit to do this, and roughly I saved $100 on parts and $300 in labor, but I pulled it off and my car runs great! After being told my intake manifold was leaking, I did LOTS of research. Set aside some time for me to accomplish this massive feat (this last weekend), bought all necessary fluids, misc tools that I didn’t as of yet own, and the intake manifold gaskets and upper intake manifold that includes plenum. When I was done, I saw a few extra things that I needed that didn’t cost too much, like replacing a corroded coolant temp sensor and a few vacuum hoses that flaked off when I pulled them off. It was a great learning experience for the one simple fact: I did it myself. It was true what the auto parts store clerk voiced: The manuals that they have available are geared more towards a professional mechanic rather than the everyday joe. It doesn’t tell you everything, and after a while, I got frustrated flipping through it looking for things that weren’t there and wasted lots of time. I played it by ear and just took a deep breath, and it paid off! My words of caution: take your time, tag and bag everything from bolts, hoses and wiring every step of the way. If you are even unsure at that, would be a good idea to take pics with your cellphone or digital camera, then follow them in reverse with everything you do. It took me longer than a pro, had to run to the parts shop my share of times over the weekend, but I loved every minute of it. My baby runs great, it was a huge job and I did it all by myself. If there are any questions, please feel free to write, at least while it is still fresh in my memory. Take care everyone and I am privileged to join the ranks of you weekend mechanics….

imidazol97
12-10-2008, 08:31 AM
[SIZE=3]was leaking, I did LOTS of research. Set aside I did it myself. It was true what the auto parts store clerk voiced: The manuals that they have available are geared more towards a professional mechanic rather than the everyday joe. It doesn’t tell you everything, and after a while, I got frustrated flipping through it looking for things that weren’t there and wasted lots of time. I played it by ear and just took a deep breath, and it paid off! My words of caution: take your time, tag and bag everything from bolts, hoses and wiring every step of the way.SIZE]

I did my UIM a year ago. Keep separate area bolts and pieces in different holders. I also labelled things with sheet labels cut up and stuck on. Took pictures too.

For a manual, get the Helminc.com which is the authentic GM manual for the car. You can browse ebay and might find one at a good price. I believe your year would be two volumes. Do some comparison on Ebay so you don't get fooled with just one part. New copies are about $125.

Another helpful hint is that many libraries with computers for patrons have access to AllData on their inhouse computers. I saved pictures and whole html pages to my USB data thumb drive. You can print at most libraries for a fee. It's worth a call to see if you library has or shares this with a nearby library. Our county interacts with surrounding counties. Most data services are available from our home computers, but the cost of AllData for them is per computer so they only allow inhouse access.

Add your comment to this topic!