Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2002 Windstar 3.8, P0171

rjeffreeze
12-08-2008, 12:02 PM
Hi all,

I got code P0171 the other day. The van has been idling rough in between cold and fully warm (about 5 mins after startup). I read through some posts and am curious if i need to replace the valve cover, isolator bolts, or both. Seems that they lump 171 and 174 together and mine only had 171. Specifically, the auto parts store gave me the code and indicated that the system was too lean in bank 1. Hope i described the problem well enough. Thanks!

12Ounce
12-08-2008, 01:13 PM
I would think your model already has the improved valve cover ... which isn't that important in my opinion anyway, and only has an indirect impact on the isolator bolts.

You should also have the new-and-improved isolator bolts. Even they won't last forever, but unless you have some very high miles... may not be your problem .

I would bet on some cracked hose, loose hose or some other similar air leakage into the manifold.

rjeffreeze
12-08-2008, 06:29 PM
The van is pushing 90k miles. Would the fact that it only happens a few minues after a cold start, and only lasts for a couple minutes (intermittent) be explained by a vacuum leak? Also, service bulletin 03-16-1 says that it applies to '99 to '03. Just questions here... thanks for the input!

12Ounce
12-09-2008, 11:34 AM
Well, if your model is indeed a candidate for the old style isolator bolts, I would open up the upper intake and take a look. Lifting the upper is not a big deal to do ... even though thousands of (sometimes frantic) words have been written in this forum on the subject. You can Search and find all the technical info you need ... I would just try to let you know its not a big job for the average DIY'r.

northern piper
12-09-2008, 12:27 PM
I got several 171's by themselves before I did the overhaul on my 2000. I put it down to all sorts of things but ultimately it needed the cleaning. As was said, the valve cover is probably good, not 100% sure on the isolator bolts. I'd be doing the cleaning for sure and then check the vac lines.

Piper

mundy5
12-09-2008, 09:20 PM
I also initially got the 171 code but later on also started getting the 174 codes. I have the 03 and it still needed to be changed. haven't had any codes since.

rjeffreeze
12-15-2008, 11:27 AM
Well, I performed the service bulletin yesterday. Kudos to everyone who did it in 2.5 hours! It took me about 6 hours by the time I got my tools out and put back. So far so good, no CEL yet. I did not replace the valve cover; just the little hose, bolts, and seals. One question though: the #3 intake was notably dirtier than the rest. Does anybody know what would cause this?

Andrew1941
12-15-2008, 02:50 PM
I am not sure which one is number three, but if it is one of the ports closest to the MAF, then yah, it is because it preferentially gets most of the oil coming through from the PCV valve, so it tends to crud up the worst.

By the way, the first time I did the fix, it took me and a buddy 5.5 hours. The second van I did took me about 2.5 hours and the last time I took the cover off the top of the intake on mine, I had it off in about an hour. You definelty get better with practice!

norteno
12-28-2008, 07:23 PM
I have 2001 with same engine and had same codes and symptoms until I changed the coil pack. Runs great now. Seems that when engine does not fire correctly, it throws everything else off and triggers CEL codes, of which 171 and 174 were triggered on mine. Make any sense??

Add your comment to this topic!