Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Upper Intake torque sequence/specs?

vandentr
12-08-2008, 06:51 AM
Does anyboy have these handy for a '98, 3.8?

Also, are the bolts reusable?

Thanks,
TVB

vandentr
12-08-2008, 09:01 AM
Nevermind, I found it on Autozone's site:

http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/1d/33/05/0900823d801d3305/repairInfoPages.htm

Peace!
TVB

LeSabre97mint
12-08-2008, 09:54 AM
vandentr

What did you end up doing when your 98?

Dan

Does anyboy have these handy for a '98, 3.8?

Also, are the bolts reusable?

Thanks,
TVB

12Ounce
12-08-2008, 10:18 AM
Don't overlook that "in-lbs"! Some folks do, and severely overtorque those small bolts.

After much looking, I finally found a K-D 1/4" torque wrench for such low-torque applications.

vandentr
12-08-2008, 02:06 PM
Dan,

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking?

Can you please clarify?

Thanks,
Tom VB

LeSabre97mint
12-08-2008, 05:09 PM
Tom....I'm not sure what I was asking either.....sorry for the confusion.

I must have been tired...

I think I was wondering why you had your intake off.

vandentr

What did you end up doing when your 98?

Dan
Dan,

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking?

Can you please clarify?

Thanks,
Tom VB

vandentr
12-09-2008, 06:29 AM
Dan,

It's actually my neighbor's wife's van. It was loosing a lot of coolant, but only when running and there were never any puddles. It was very odd.

When it got to the point of no heat and 25 degrees outside here in Michigan it became a critical issue! :iceslolan

TVB

wiswind
12-09-2008, 06:54 AM
The upper intake manifold will have nothing to do with coolan loss, there are no coolant ports through it.

The lower intake manifold DOES have a lot to do with coolant loss in many cases on the 3.8L windstar.
The lower intake manifold gaskets break down and cause leakage.....can be INTO the motor, which can cause serious damage.

The lower intake manifold gasket replacement process is much more involved than the upper intake.
I have pictures posted in the pictures that the link in my signature takes you to that shows the lower intake manifold gasket replacement process.
The lower intake manifold gasket bolts are reusable.
The upper intake manifold gaskets and bolts are also reusable.

The lower intake manifold gaskets are NOT reusable.....both sides must be replaced whenever the lower intake manifold is lifted off.
Also, the engine oil and filter MUST be replaced before starting the engine.

The other common cause of leakage is the front cover, aka timing cover, gasket.
That is a MAJOR job to do.

However.....look things over and make sure that there is not some easy solution....like a leaking hose, radiator, etc.

vandentr
12-09-2008, 09:19 PM
Thanks Wiswind, but I'm way ahead of you, which is in part due to all of the wonderful information I'd been researching from those who'd gone before me.

The coolant was leaking from the lower intake. We were working our way back up and discovered we didn't have the sequence/specs for the upper.

FYI, the EGR tube/pipe between the exhaust manifold and the EGR valve is a DEALER ONLY PART. We discovered that one of the two DPFE feeders was split and snapped off with barely a touch. I'm sure that there are many more 98's that will be running into this in the near future so keep your eyes peeled!

In our case we replaced the following:

1) Lower intake gaskets
2) Valve cover gaskets
3) Upper Intake gaskets
4) Fuel Injector O-Rings
5) IMRC retainer clips
6) EGR valve w/ gasket
7) IMRC solenoid
8) IAC unit
9) Thermostat
10) PCV valve
11) Heater quick connect clip
12) EGR Tube

It was a fun job, especially since I wasn't paying for any of it!
:cool:
TVB

LeSabre97mint
12-09-2008, 10:00 PM
Thanks Wiswind, but I'm way ahead of you, which is in part due to all of the wonderful information I'd been researching from those who'd gone before me.

The coolant was leaking from the lower intake. We were working our way back up and discovered we didn't have the sequence/specs for the upper.

FYI, the EGR tube/pipe between the exhaust manifold and the EGR valve is a DEALER ONLY PART. We discovered that one of the two DPFE feeders was split and snapped off with barely a touch. I'm sure that there are many more 98's that will be running into this in the near future so keep your eyes peeled!

In our case we replaced the following:

1) Lower intake gaskets
2) Valve cover gaskets
3) Upper Intake gaskets
4) Fuel Injector O-Rings
5) IMRC retainer clips
6) EGR valve w/ gasket
7) IMRC solenoid
8) IAC unit
9) Thermostat
10) PCV valve
11) Heater quick connect clip
12) EGR Tube

It was a fun job, especially since I wasn't paying for any of it!
:cool:
TVB

that's what I was asking about.

Have you seen the pics of the lower intake gasket replacement? If you did was the failure area in the same place?

Dan

Add your comment to this topic!