Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

97 PA Lights/Electrical Problem

ThreeKings06
12-07-2008, 11:22 PM
:banghead: My 97 PA is currently showing the following symptoms. As the lights turn on at dawn the vehichle intermittenly starts to dim and un-dim the headlights as well as the gauge/radio/temp lights within the vehicle:confused: , besides that it doesnt effect the performance of the vehicle, yet isnt attractive because it looks like im flicking my headlights at drivers. Now it doesnt do this constanly, prob every hour during driving. Just can figure out what the heck is wrong. Any help or point toward a direction will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tony

The00Dustin
12-08-2008, 10:00 AM
Perhaps you are driving through a shady area? The car has automatic headlights controlled using Twilight Sentinel. There should be a slider to adjust Twighlight Sentinel's sensitivity on the dashboard near the headlight switch. This may help, but I would recommend turning on your headlights during this time of day. They will then stay on even though the lights inside the car switch between headlight on and off mode. This feature is called parade dimming. This way, the inside of the car is supposed to have the right lighting during day and night even while the headlights are turned on manually.

ThreeKings06
12-10-2008, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the info. I tried to adjust the twilight setting and it worked for about an hour. After that it just went back to flickering the same way. Kinda buggin me out and I dont really want to pay a mechanic to configure the problem.... just costs too much:shakehead

auto trainy
12-11-2008, 06:37 PM
Try cleaning the battery connections and check all grounds first.

ThreeKings06
12-12-2008, 12:01 AM
I will try cleaning the terminals, maybe it will help. Here is one thing I noticed today though, whenever I turn my wipers on the lights work fine. Any advice?

bigsky
12-14-2008, 04:13 AM
Could also have something to do with the Twilight sensor itself. This sensor is in the middle of the dash, up by the windshield, and is flat.

Take a small screwdriver and carefully pry the sensor out, clean the top, and push it back in.

Otherwise, wire or ground somewhere...

ThreeKings06
12-23-2008, 01:43 AM
could it have anything to do with the alternator? i started noticing the voltage light coming on and off today, like twice.

bigsky
12-24-2008, 02:29 AM
could it have anything to do with the alternator? i started noticing the voltage light coming on and off today, like twice.

I would make sure that you have a good battery. When mine went, just putting on the brakes caused the system to fail and the dash "lit up like a Christmas Tree" (see thread on this).

TopherS
12-31-2008, 03:11 PM
I would make sure that you have a good battery. When mine went, just putting on the brakes caused the system to fail and the dash "lit up like a Christmas Tree" (see thread on this).

Same thing...when my battery was dying, I had flickering headlights that were even more affected by putting on the brakes. New battery = no more flickering since (about 2 1/2 years ago).

Add your comment to this topic!