Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

93 s-10 blazer starts & dies!

dirt camaro83
12-07-2008, 08:41 PM
ok, this problem just popped up. when you start it, it may run a minute or 2 and then die. I have 62 psi from the fuel pump consistantly, even when it starts running irratically and dies. after it dies, it may take up to an hour for it to start back up!! i had the module checked and its good. Getting fire from distibutor and coil, and has the correct fuel pressure. any ideas? by the way, its got a 4.3 vortech

old_master
12-07-2008, 08:59 PM
Check the electrical connections going to the injector. I've seen several where the terminals will pull loose causing similar symptoms.

If there is an anti-theft unit on the vehicle, try bypassing it to see if the problem goes away.

dirt camaro83
12-07-2008, 11:05 PM
i've already done that and everything was good. what really gets me in all this is that no check engine or service engine soon light is coming on

Truck633
12-08-2008, 03:07 PM
I am suffering the same fate right now, I changed the fuel pump, as it was intermittent at best, and after I got it changed (I found a badly burned wire in the fuel pump harnes and was sure that was the problem) but now I have a full 60 psi to the injector, and good spark when it dies. I thought the poppets were sticking, so I changed the whole unit, FPR/injector/poppets, as a whole. Started it up and it ran for a little while then went right back to dying, no codes at all....hopefully someone has had this issue and can point us in the right direction.

old_master
12-08-2008, 05:46 PM
I am suffering the same fate right now, I changed the fuel pump, as it was intermittent at best, and after I got it changed (I found a badly burned wire in the fuel pump harnes and was sure that was the problem) but now I have a full 60 psi to the injector, and good spark when it dies. I thought the poppets were sticking, so I changed the whole unit, FPR/injector/poppets, as a whole. Started it up and it ran for a little while then went right back to dying, no codes at all....hopefully someone has had this issue and can point us in the right direction.

Tom,

Welcome to the forum! Camaro83 has a 1993, yours is a 2000... two totally different computer control systems, and quite possibly, two totally different problems. Please start a new thread in the "Blazer problem diagnosis" section stating your concern. It will eliminate confusion in this thread. Thanks.

old_master
12-08-2008, 06:01 PM
i've already done that and everything was good. what really gets me in all this is that no check engine or service engine soon light is coming on

Did you check the connections inside the plenum?

Does it have an anti-theft system?

Your vehicle has OBDI which is very limited on it's monitoring capabilities. If the SES light comes on for the bulb check, and then goes off, chances are the emission control devices, (TPS, MAP, EGR, O2 sensors etc.) are OK. OBDI does not monitor ignition or fuel delivery, so if the SES light is off, those would be two areas to check first.

dirt camaro83
12-08-2008, 08:43 PM
doesnt have the anti theft system, and no, havent checked wiring inside the plenum, just the one underneath the vortech cover. I put another coil on it today, and it ran alot longer but in the end it was the same result

Truck633
12-08-2008, 09:11 PM
Old Master-
Thanks for the input, this is a 4.3 vortech 6 in a 1993 s-10 blazer, it has the CPI system, I believe it is like Camaro 83 same problem, I have been all around the internet and am struggling with this, so I am looking for any answer.

Thanks

Tom

Truck633
12-10-2008, 07:44 PM
Camaro
check the connector between the wiring harness and the lower half of the intake manifold, I just had the same problem you had, and after replacing the injector and all the poppets, I found the connector was losing connection every now and then. Anyhow, hope this helps

Tom

dirt camaro83
12-26-2008, 09:09 PM
ok guys after taking time off from it i have found the prob. The elctrical wiring going into the plenum is messed up....which of course is a whole new set of probs! i dont think that anybody in the world sells this litle part of the wiring harness, or at least i havent found anyone yet! Its got a blue and red wire and has a male end on one end and hooks directly on top of the fuel injection spider. any help on a part# or exactly what this is supposed to be called would be appreciated. I think i would almost pay a thousand bux for this part at this point!:mad:

GLFarnes
12-26-2008, 10:39 PM
You may have some luck at a bone yard on this one. I've found a few wiring harness parts that way in the past. Good luck!

Truck633
12-27-2008, 08:49 AM
Dirt!
Glad you found the problem, when I checked for current at the connector, I had only checked the ECU side, thus when I plugged the connector back together I was stumped, after I finally realized the connector was bad, I cut it entirely out, and used to solderless connectors in its place. The molded connector that fits on top of the injector should still be o k on yours, just check the resistance in both wires, if you have a break in on of the wires (most likely where it goes through the lower plenum) replace it and you should still be able to clean the molded pug and re use it.

Hope this helps

Tom

Add your comment to this topic!