Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Gas Smell in Cabin

Joey_shaolinyc
12-06-2008, 11:22 AM
I have a 2004 nissan maxima se and when i start my car i smell a strong odor of fuel/gas in the cabin, I took the car to a mechanic and I was told that it was the evap control canister. I didnt see any leaks and neither did the mechanic, has anyone else had this problem? if so did replacing the evap control canister fix it? my car only has 34,000 miles. any help would be appreciated. thanks. Joey.

nissandoc
12-06-2008, 02:40 PM
Did the "mechanic" pressure test the canister? If its not holding pressure then it is very posible that could be it. However, you should have a check engine light on if its not holding pressure. Is the smell there all the time or just on cold start-ups?

Joey_shaolinyc
12-07-2008, 10:47 AM
when i start the car its there and then I dont smell it anymore. after im done driving and the car sits for a while when i get in i smell the fumes even before i start it. I dont smell it in warmer weather, and the check engine light is not coming on. i dont know if my mechanic did a pressure test on the evap canister but he hooked it up to a dianostic tool just to be certain and no codes came up at all.

Nahkapohjola
12-07-2008, 11:25 AM
...i get in i smell the fumes even before i start it....

Open the hood. Keep watching as smbdy turns power on - NO start. Pump turns on, fuel pressure goes up. You should detect a leak and/or smell the source...

Add your comment to this topic!