Page updated on 08-20-2018

Front disc rotor

bigklaw1
12-05-2008, 08:17 PM
2002 Elantra - cannot get the rotor off . Anyone else have this problem ?

Hungrycat7
12-06-2008, 09:03 AM
From what it sounds. . . Everyone has this problem. I was able to find this, hope it helps.

VERY unfortunately, you have to remove the rotor with the steering knuckle and then have the rotor pressed off! I don't know, but you may be able to use a large gear puller to remove them. Of course, the cotter pin and nut must be removed first.
Mine were'nt too bad so I opted to use a 4.5" hand grinder to clean them up a bit. I first used a hammer to knock off the rust buildup (unbelievable for a two year old car), then a wheel to remove the glazing, then a wire brush (on the grinder) to finish up the job. Long job overall, but saved me the over $300 that Hyundai wanted to do it.

lowsonoma1999
12-06-2008, 11:18 AM
You won't have to have the rotor pressed off. On older Elantra's, yes, but not the '02. They were a slide on rotor. If you have the screws out, and it's still seized on, then it's just rust buildup. There should be a couple holes in the rotor where you can put a bolt through. This will push the rotor off the hub. If you don't have the correct bolt for this, take a BFH and beat the crap out of it until it comes off. More than likely, you will destroy the rotor in the process.

Add your comment to this topic!