Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

need help with wheel bearing!!

johnnybutler
12-05-2008, 01:36 PM
hi im new to the forum and need some help with removing my front wheel bearing.i've got everything apart but it seems that the,im not sure what its called,cv joint where the hub nut goes wont pull back or out to let the bearing go.any help or suggestions or ideas please would help.thank you.:biggrin: oh ya the vehicle is a 2002 chevy venture.

mcdy
12-05-2008, 06:55 PM
are you sure that that is not a hub and bearing assembly? Which would mean that you need to replace the whole hub and bearing!!!! not just wheel bearing its self

roadrunner2
12-05-2008, 09:29 PM
are you sure that that is not a hub and bearing assembly? Which would mean that you need to replace the whole hub and bearing!!!! not just wheel bearing its self

Johnny, Mr. Mcdy is correct.

I just had mine done (2000 Silo) to replace a faulty ABS sensor.

johnnybutler
12-07-2008, 06:01 PM
ya it is the hub assembly.i think its just badly rusted ive tried everythig to get it apart but it wont budge i even broke two pulleys tryng to get it out tomorrow im just going to take the axel out with it so i can save the control arm( i likly have to replace the axel now its pretty banged up,) and see if i can get some one to press it out or something how does the axel come out do i just pry it out or does it rotate backwords to onlock and out?thx for the replys

rockwood84
12-07-2008, 09:16 PM
hi im new to the forum and need some help with removing my front wheel bearing.i've got everything apart but it seems that the,im not sure what its called,cv joint where the hub nut goes wont pull back or out to let the bearing go.any help or suggestions or ideas please would help.thank you.:biggrin: oh ya the vehicle is a 2002 chevy venture. the cv axle should go back thru the hub after you take the large axle nut off.but you will have to take the bottom ball joint and tie rod loose to get the steering nuckle to move out so the cv axle will have room to slip back thru the hub.then take a block of wood and put on the end of the axle and bump it thru the hub ,hitting the block of wood with the hammer.have some stubborn but the axle will bump thru the hub.if you have beat the threads on the end of the cv axle and they are pretty boogered up the you will most likely end up putting a new cv axle in.hope this helps

johnnybutler
12-08-2008, 07:30 AM
the cv axle should go back thru the hub after you take the large axle nut off.but you will have to take the bottom ball joint and tie rod loose to get the steering nuckle to move out so the cv axle will have room to slip back thru the hub.then take a block of wood and put on the end of the axle and bump it thru the hub ,hitting the block of wood with the hammer.have some stubborn but the axle will bump thru the hub.if you have beat the threads on the end of the cv axle and they are pretty boogered up the you will most likely end up putting a new cv axle in.hope this helps
thats where my problem is i cant get the axel to go back thru the hub i ve tried everything and it wont budge so how do i take the cv jonit out of the transaxel

dewaynep
12-08-2008, 01:53 PM
The inner CV joint is just clipped into the tranny (it's an internal clip, not one you have to remove first). All you need is a prybar to gently "pop" the shaft from the tranny. It may take some oomph, or may take getting a slide hammer with the adapter for removing cv shafts, but I haven't had to use mine yet.

johnnybutler
12-09-2008, 09:34 AM
thnx dewanyep got it out took it to a mechanic they heated the hub and pounded it off the cv i geuss it was really on there they only charged me 20 bucks and trimed the end of the cv for me.i got a new hub nut for free from the auto zone and im in the process of putting it all back together so far so good only it seems the brake calliper is a little stiff is there any thing i can do or does it need to be replaced.thnx for all the help

merc81
12-10-2008, 02:28 PM
thnx dewanyep got it out took it to a mechanic they heated the hub and pounded it off the cv i geuss it was really on there they only charged me 20 bucks and trimed the end of the cv for me.i got a new hub nut for free from the auto zone and im in the process of putting it all back together so far so good only it seems the brake calliper is a little stiff is there any thing i can do or does it need to be replaced.thnx for all the help

Ok, glad to hear you had success getting the shaft out and to a shop. Sounds like it was really seized on there. The brake caliper will not want to retract on older cars when its time to change out the flex line for the brakes. The rubber hose on the brakes wears on the inside and blocks the fluid flow. Its sorta the same as blocked arteries! You won't have any problem using the brake pedal to force the fluid into the caliper and apply the brakes, but it won't want to release so well when that hose is blocked.

If that's what you mean by 'stiff' then look over that hose and consider replacing it while you are in there.
John

Add your comment to this topic!