Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

bmw 330 xi brake prob only during rain

roxykpl
12-05-2008, 11:16 AM
When its raining and I'm on the highway, when I press the brakes, the brake pedal is initally soft, and it takes a few tries before it becomes 'hard' again. THis has freaked me out a couple of times. I'm going to the dealer to have it checked out before the warranty expires, but just wanted to know if anyone else has this problem? Also, when going down a hill, without pressing on the gas, I feel the car reving up. I understand, due to the laws of physics, that the car will speed up, but it kind of feels as if i pressed the gas pedal.

This started happening after i had my battery changed.

I never had these kinds of problems with my old car, on hills, or during the rain...

MPWR
12-05-2008, 11:44 AM
Welcome to AF!

Tell us about the car. Year, miles, how many owners, any modifications, manual or automatic, etc. As always, the more info you can give, the more likely someone can help you with a useful answer.

Could the accelerating down hills be a cruise control issue?

Sounds like your brake rotors are getting wet- but it shouldn't take several pumps to dry them before they grab normally.

Definitely get any warranty work done while you still have the option.

roxykpl
12-05-2008, 12:56 PM
I have a 2003 bmw 330xi, with ~65000 miles on it. Its automatic. I'm really hoping they figure out whats wrong with the car and fix it asap because the warranty expires dec 31...=(

Do you think it might have anything to do with the rain sensors? because my windshield wipers do not seem to 'sense' the rain anymore, either...

One of the rear lights went out recently. does anyone know how to change that? I've done it before on a Nissan, but these BMW's are 'special' and confuses the heck out of me. There are two brake lights on each side of the car, its the one closer to the trunk thats out. I'm trying to save money.

I recently got the car via hand me down from a family member, who bought it used in 2005 or2006... i dont understand why I am having so many problems with this car... my previous car was a nissan maxima and i only had generic problems, like fixing the brakes, changing the belts...

after i got this car, the battery died, the computer went wonky (doors wouldn't lock properly), and now this...i always thought bmw's were top of the line cars...i'm getting really depressed at how much my empty wallet is suffering...

CassiesMan
12-05-2008, 02:29 PM
I have a 2003 bmw 330xi, with ~65000 miles on it. Its automatic. I'm really hoping they figure out whats wrong with the car and fix it asap because the warranty expires dec 31...=(

Do you think it might have anything to do with the rain sensors? because my windshield wipers do not seem to 'sense' the rain anymore, either...

At 65k, the brakes are probably well on their way out and the rain is exacerbating the problem. Do they ever feel mushy or slightly less responsive when dry? Having been on the reciving end of a BMW brake job right after mine went off warranty, I'd see if you can get this grabbed right now and be buddy buddy with the SA, see if he'll get you under the 40yr/50k $0 cost they have right now.

One of the rear lights went out recently. does anyone know how to change that? I've done it before on a Nissan, but these BMW's are 'special' and confuses the heck out of me. There are two brake lights on each side of the car, its the one closer to the trunk thats out. I'm trying to save money.

Common problem on the E46. The way the fuses for the tail lights are set up, they may burn out occasionally. Its a ten second fix, the fuse box for the lights is in the trunk. The dealership I worked at would fix it for free.

I recently got the car via hand me down from a family member, who bought it used in 2005 or2006... i dont understand why I am having so many problems with this car... my previous car was a nissan maxima and i only had generic problems, like fixing the brakes, changing the belts...

Those aren't problems, it is general maintenance. All the parts you are listing on the BMW going out are wear parts, they wear down by design, as they would on all cars. At 65k but still being on what I assume the CPO warranty, take it to a local BMW dealership that has a good rep, and get the Service II for it. It is standard maintenance on any car. I would not be surprised to find out that all the problems (save the brakes) are solved by Service II.

after i got this car, the battery died, the computer went wonky (doors wouldn't lock properly), and now this...i always thought bmw's were top of the line cars...i'm getting really depressed at how much my empty wallet is suffering...

Batteries die on all cars, you can't blame your car for a battery dieing. Take it to the dealership, have them run the service two. The door issue could have been an electrical fault from the battery dieing. BMWs are great cars, and just as reliable as any other car that you maintain properly. Change the oil, rotate the tires, keep an eye on the brakes, and take her in for Service II. She'll be fine, and you'll be loving her.

If it makes you feel better, I only took my BMW in for service four times. Service I, Service II, the first brake job, and for a new oil pan after mine was damaged by Jiffy Lube. While working at a BMW dealership at the time made Service II free, if I hadn't, Service II would have been the only one I needed to pay for.

Add your comment to this topic!