Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Cable Broken

Proteusbound
12-05-2008, 02:25 AM
The cable that attaches to my fuel injector linkage, and goes down to the transmission, is frayed and broken.
Will this cause the variations in shifting I'm having?
Also, will this cause the car to not reshift up into high gear after it "kicksdown" into passing gear?

gorgepr
12-05-2008, 09:45 AM
car?? year ?? engine?? but by your description is should be the overdrive cable and yes that cable messes up the transmision really good change at soon as posible

Morley
12-05-2008, 09:54 AM
The cable that attaches to my fuel injector linkage, and goes down to the transmission, is frayed and broken.
Will this cause the variations in shifting I'm having?
Also, will this cause the car to not reshift up into high gear after it "kicksdown" into passing gear?
That should be your throttlevalve (TV) cable. Yes, that will cause all kinds of shifting problems.

Proteusbound
12-05-2008, 11:50 AM
car?? year ?? engine?? but by your description is should be the overdrive cable and yes that cable messes up the transmision really good change at soon as posible

Sorry about that.. I picked the Firebird category and thought it would be implied.

1989 Firebird V-6 automatic.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/Proteusbound/000_0312.jpg

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/Proteusbound/000_0313.jpg

The car does a bad thing when I'm on the freeway.. if traffic gets slow, or I have to step down on the gas pedal to pass/or on an upgrade, the transmission will kick down into a lower gear, then not go back to drive or Overdrive.
This has been extremely annoying when I'm far away from home, as I have to drive home in second gear..
I try to keep the RPMs below 5000 when this happens.

And when the car cools down after stopping, the transmission is fine again.

Can this cable be the cause?

gorgepr
12-05-2008, 08:52 PM
yes it should be replace it as soon as posible you dont want to burn the tranny by keeping it on second gear

Proteusbound
12-06-2008, 07:35 PM
Thank you for the replies.. I got a new cable at Pep boys.

Is it relatively easy to replace?
Will I need anything special to remove or install the cable?
Or is it pretty straight forward?

Thanks.

Morley
12-07-2008, 09:55 AM
Thank you for the replies.. I got a new cable at Pep boys.

Is it relatively easy to replace?
Will I need anything special to remove or install the cable?
Or is it pretty straight forward?

Thanks.
Pretty easy to do. The only trouble you may have is snaking it down and into place since it is new and will want to go its own way. One thing, make sure to follow the directions for "adjusting" the cable, it is critical.

Proteusbound
12-07-2008, 11:25 AM
Thanks.. I'll give it a shot.

Add your comment to this topic!