Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Acrylic or enamel to paint the bodywork, 1/24

thunderfyg
12-04-2008, 02:18 PM
Hi guys again,

I am starting to build rally cars at 1/24 scale. So far I am using Tamiya TS sprays to paint the body, but with the Hasegawa models, sometimes I cannot find the same colour in Tamiya TS spray.

I have been reading the tutorial regarding acrylic and enamel paints but I do not still have it clear.

For painting the body with an airbrush with Plastic/resin models at 1/24, what do you recommend me guys, to use acrylic or enamel paints?

Thank you so much for your help.

stevenoble
12-04-2008, 02:40 PM
For painting the body with an airbrush with Plastic/resin models at 1/24, what do you recommend me guys, to use acrylic or enamel paints?

Me personally neither acrylic or enamel for the body.Reason being enamels take an age to dry and I never have success trying to polish them.Acrylics dry quicker but they just don't suit my style of painting and never seem very durable.
My preferred choice would be to stick with the Tamiya TS sprays or seeing as though you have an airbrush already try some auto acrylics such as Zero paints (link below) or equivalent.They really are so easy to use, very economical, durable and there is a nice range of colours available for all the popular model kits.Also if you need a special colour you can get it custom mixed to suit.Oh and acrylics and enamels are great for non body parts, I use them all the time..!!

Link for Zero paints and clear coats

http://www.hiroboy.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=48&osCsid=685c8c84e344e87e3e360e3bfbc4f3dc

wouter1981
12-05-2008, 01:18 AM
Well Lacquer are the "best" for car bodies. They dry fast and are verry hard so they polish out well. Acrylic dry also fast, are lot softer, but with care you can use them to great results. Also enamels are possible to achieve a verry good finish, but there curing time is far greater than acrylic or lacquers. The trick with all paints (and especialy with acrylic and enamel) is to spent a lot of time on youre primer. It has te be verry smooth. Paint some thin and light colour coats, just enough so you have a even colour. If there are imperfections, sand and respray. Finaly the clear. A lot of light and verry diluted coats. It's possible you need 10-15 coats to build up a decent clear coat. Don't be tempted to spray thick glossy wet coats. You have a big chance for orange peel, so you have to sand down the peel and acrylic doesn't like to be sanded. For the enamels, if you spray to thick, it can taken months, even over a year to completely cure.

Didymus
12-05-2008, 08:26 PM
Neither. Acrylics are too soft and enamels, well, the list of problems is very long, including slow drying, dust accumulation, etc., etc. Some older modelers love them, though, and I like them for small shiny parts. But not for bodies!

My first choice after Tamiya TS series lacquers is one-part automotive urethane, also known as touch-up paint.

For more about automotive touch-up paint, see my msg #14 in the 18th vs 24th scale thread. Note the need for a pro respirator when spraying these paints.

I believe that Zero Paints are the same thing, except they are pre-mixed for spraying. And a lot more expensive.

Ddms
Ddms

Add your comment to this topic!