Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

What Type of Plastic Was Used on 1986 RS Cavalier Bumpers

Markgc
12-03-2008, 05:13 PM
I have to repair some damage to the front valence/bumper of my 86 Cavalier RS. I see that different plastics are used for these bumpers.

quote "One of the main things to consider is which type of plastic your bumper is. There should be a stamp inside identifying it as PP, PPO, TPE, PUR, or TPUR. The adhesive products you purchase will have to match up and you should check with the store to make sure you're getting the right ones." end quote

Does anyone know what type of plastic was used on the 86 Cavalier RS. Since this is an old car I will be doing a rudimentary repair without removing the bumper.

Blue Bowtie
12-05-2008, 07:12 PM
It should be a urethane-based plastic (one of the last two selections). 3M offers a plastic adhesive/filler that works well with that material, and another which is designed to work for polyethylene and polypropylene based materials (the first three types).

3M Duramix 04040 is probably appropriate for your plastic. Your local auto body supply shop (NOT AutoZone or generic parts store) should be able to not only advise you in its proper use, but search their charts for the appropriate adhesive for your application.

When you perform a repair like this, the parts must be very clean. Also, waxed paper is your friend. It will not stick to the adhesive, but will allow you to shape the repair easily to minimize sanding and overfilling. It works great with fiberglass filler and Bondo, too.

Add your comment to this topic!